Kernel 6.1+ freezes on Login Prompt

weird, maybe you could add a larger swapfile on a secondary disk… But idk 4 gb should be enough for an offline install.
Once I had some freezing issues on an older server because of a faulty memory stick, took that one out and the server is still working with half the memory.

I don’t really know what else to say at this point, maybe try some other arch distro(except manjaro), see if that works, though this issue still could be kernel related, it just freezes later with the live system.

Especially if you can’t even use the installer with the older kernel, that worked for you before. Smells like a hardware issue then… After you try another arch distro, you should try some ubuntu based distro, it’s not worth the time to use a rolling distro if it doesn’t want to work.

I haven’t tried old installer, that’s what I’m going to do next. I just can’t today because I’m traveling. As for the swapfile, I’m assuming the live disk doesn’t have 4 gb, since it only installed 512 mb.

That’s interesting to note on the memory stick, though. How can I tell if one is faulty? Probably going to be hard to replace on a notebook laptop, but it might be worth looking into.

At the moment I’m using Ventoy, but it still works fine with older kernels and I’ve recreated the problem with etcher flashed disks too.

Unless both of those can cause similar freezing issues, then I can’t do a reinstall using the latest ISO.

You should make the swapfile on the laptop’s drive, assuming you have two drives in that laptop. You make the swapfile on the secondary disk that will not be formatted during install.

You could use memtest I guess, never tried it. I just took one stick out and if fixed the issue, didn’t care about it anymore, I was just guessing what could be the problem.

Maybe buy a bigger memory can’t be expensive for an older laptop.

Just go with the simpler solution, and if arch distros don’t work, just use something with an older kernel, like the latest lts ubuntu. You are not missing out on anything with an older kernel, even with older software.

https://distrowatch.com/search.php?basedon=Arch#simple

https://archcraft.io/flavors.html

Try these, maybe you’ll get lucky. It’s basically the same thing as eos.

Ventoy is usually a problem. If you are having freezing issues with others then i would say you have a problem with your hardware. Does this laptop have Intel RST make sure it’s turned off along with secure boot and csm. How much memory does it have?

have you tried just “Burning” the ISO with dd instead of a third party program that could also be the cause of all these issues? I used to use those like unetbootin but unless your burning Windows or maybe even Games (not a gamer so guessing) You don’t need any third party apps for burning Linux ISO’s over to usb.

I reinstalled using the old ISO and manually set up the partitions again. This time, I added a 4GB swap partition and it booted flawlessly with the latest standard kernel.

Thanks @anon92589110. I thought I read somewhere recently that Linux was moving away from even needing swap partitions so it didn’t even occur to me that the default option wouldn’t be enough.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback and nice that it is working now.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.