KDE Professional Tools Are Better As AppImages

At least, this has been my experience so far.

Krita recommends using the AppImage. I’ve tested it for over a year now (prior to Arch shipping the Krita beta as the official Krita). For my usage, the AppImage crashes less and is faster. The missing feature is that sometimes in Openbox, I can’t get a native file dialog. Not an issue in KDE.

Anyway, I said “tools” with an s.

This is now (also for me, at least) true for Kdenlive as well. I’ve not been able to render with my GPU for a few weeks to a month now (or maybe it’s been longer?). But anyway, someone on the KDE forum said they were switching from Kdenlive from the Arch repo to the AppImage. I thought to myself, “Why would you do that?”

Guess what is working now? GPU rendering.

Anyway, this post is just to say that AppImages (specifically for professional apps) from the KDE team seem to be better than Arch-native packages. So, if you’re having trouble with an app, test the official AppImage version.

It could be just me. I didn’t ask the KDE forum member why, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the same reason behind the switch.

I had a similar experience once with Digikam. The Arch build was quite a bleeeeeeeeep, Flatpak worked wonders. Which, of course, strengthens my opinion that complicated software is best fresh from the developer.