KDE "dropping" X11 for Wayland on Plasma 6 discussion and the alternatives in that case

Awesome! So compiz is also an option, as an alternative to dwm. So those are two fewer (tiny) reasons to stick to Plasma.

What program are you using and how are you selecting which unfocused window you want to send the keystrokes to?

Well quickly fading into obscurity wonā€™t happen. Itā€™s been the better part of 10 years working towards it already. But it may fade. I guess weā€™ll see what replaces it. It surely wonā€™t be back to x11 though

I mean, one thing is for certain, X is definitely is not the future in any shape or form. Wayland is not perfect, has its problems and maybe might not the be the future in the long run. But one thing is for certain, X should finally fade away, because we had to drag this big pile of legacy shit with us for years and it will always get worse.

1 Like

Programs of my own creation, as well as utilities such as xdotool.

I donā€™t necessarily disagree with that. But not before an acceptable alternative exists. Wayland is not that.

1 Like

Iā€™m just trying to do the same thing with ydotool. As I imagine it, you need to create a Hotkey for focusing the window you want to send the keystrokes to. After that simply run ydotool.

In sway I just create a hotkey that focuses a certain window and after that starts a script that uses ydotool to write a text into it. You probably could write a script that remembers the previously focused window and change back to it.

honestly as someone transitioning from windows I feel super bad about using linux for this reason

if you use systemd instead of openrc/sysvinit you are mentally incapable of appreciating the concept of owning oneā€™s computer
if you use vlc instead of mpv you are mentally incapable of appreciating the concept of owning oneā€™s computer
if you use a regular text editor instead of vim you are mentally incapable of appreciating the concept of owning oneā€™s computer
if you use wayland instead of X you are mentally incapable of appreciating the concept of owning oneā€™s computer
if you program in anything but C you are mentally incapable of appreciating the concept of owning oneā€™s computer
if you use virtualbox instead of qemu you are mentally incapable of appreciating the concept of owning oneā€™s computer
if you donā€™t use a tiling wm you are mentally incapable of appreciating the concept of owning oneā€™s computer
if you use nvidia hardware you are mentally incapable of appreciating the concept of owning oneā€™s computer
etcā€¦
ā€¦if you use any software/hardware I donā€™t personally like and approve you are mentally incapable of appreciating the concept of owning oneā€™s computer

4 Likes

Maybe windoze is more appropriate for you, if random people having opinions on the internet make you feel super bad. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

yeah probably, my apologies
the software culture seems to differ a lot over in FOSS land
itā€™s like if you donā€™t use the things I use then
Iā€™d have thought the FOSS nature encourages freedom of software choices but

1 Like

I just created a separate topic for this. :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

There is freedom of software and freedom of speech.

Both are highly utilized in FOSS land :melting_face:

And although both occasionally have its quirks, it is the best thing that has happened so far :point_up:

3 Likes

I am pretty sure that Plasma (well, kwin) picked up these things from Compiz in the first place - there is actually more in there than kwin activated, and much of it is quite useful. It is not all that actively developed now, though - so it took a little while to add it into XFCE as I wanted it. Pity that Buntu dropped Unity, as that kept it humming along at the time.

I admit that I first jumped in (on Beryl) for the desktop cube etc, but I found the UI features quite good too once I was using it (Alt-tab alternates, Hot corners etc etc). It is defintely still out there, and my personal recommendation is the ā€˜olderā€™ library effortsā€¦

Seems there are some more maintained forks now, like that:

There are 2 forks going that I am aware of, both still ā€˜aliveā€™, but unless the Unity project is doing more, the pace of progress is slow. However, it does still work OK - but is not as efficient as kwinā€™s take on the goodies (AFAIK). However, Plasma is a no go for me (too much complexity for this old mind to keep up with, so Compiz on XFCE is my only access :grin:

I like Xfce too because it has been so stable.
But I started using Plasma a few months ago, after many years (when it was rather bloated).

Back then bloated was only PART of the problem - it was actually TRYING to be like Windows! It is much better now, but the increase in configurability has been achieved only with confusion-inducing complexity (for me) - not to mention the frequency of bugs flying about (though they get fixed quickly, mostly, now).

2 Likes

Thatā€™s my main problem with it personally.
Itā€™s development model is more like JavaScript, than C, if you catch my driftā€¦ :rofl:

Bug-driven development :joy:
QUICK!!! DO SOMETHING!!! WE"LL MAYBE FIX IT LATER!!!11 :clown_face:

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen that! However, it should be pointed out that DOES (eventually) lead to superior productsā€¦! It is just that which has driven the efficiency gains over the years, as things get completely rewritten when the bug list has overflowed! Now, if only they would simplify the ā€˜decorationā€™ capabilities while remaining so completely configurable, assuming that can be done. Currently there are minor changes that require mods in 3 or more places to achieve - or so I think, having not always found the third (or fourth) place necessary when contemplating adoption.

If I was young enough, I strongly suspect I would be going with a WM - perhaps dwm as I still recall some C codingā€¦

FYI

Its alternative is ydotool, it is available in Arch repo.
ydotool input is not limited to Wayland, because it accesses the Kernel directly /dev/uinput, but it requires root permission.

It should work in KDE Wayland in my QEMU/KVM e.g. automatic keyboard input and auto mouse click.
But auto mouse movement does not work in KVM (Maybe KVM is a problem or I may be missing something.)