KDE Discover seems to be broken, am I right?

Hi, I’m a new EndeavourOS user. I just installed your latest and greatest. I chose the Plasma KDE desktop.

I installed it in a VirtualBox VM. Everything worked fine.

I did, however, notice an odd little pinned icon in the taskbar that identifies as org.kde.discover.desktop. When I click on it, I get an error message saying “missing folder”. WTF.

A quick web search reveals that this is supposed to be a “KDE Discover” tool, whatever that is.

This might not be an EndeavourOS problem, per se, but a KDE problem. Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks.

Hi !
Endeavour didn’t provide discover ootb. If you want to using it, the package is in the repo.

sudo pacman -S discover packagekit-qt5

Please take not that its not recommended to using it for updating the system, since he can soft-lock pacman. Personally i’m using it only for kde modules and Flatpak. For that you need to upgrade your system before (you can also pick the good one but the first option is easier).

2 Likes

I personally just remove it. It’s not great for system updates so I just stick to terminal. But you are right, it’s a plasma problem, not EOS. It’s designed for use on kubuntu mostly.

5 Likes

Just unpin the blank discover icon to remove it. Discover is not installed. It is better to use pacseek which can be installed with yay.

5 Likes

I would either unpin it & not use it or just install discover without packagekit-qt5. I use it to keep my themes up to date

1 Like

Is there any way for the online installer to automatically unpin it so that it doesn’t confuse people?

I agree 110%. It doesn’t look good from a newbie perspective. You want your product to look as smooth and polished as possible. Having an extraneous useless icon just looks amateurish.

The fix isn’t that easy, and we’re trying to find the best way to solve it and implement it in future ISOs

The DEs we ship apart from Xfce aren’t themed at all and are directly from upstream. That’s the reason for icon not existing. It’s pretty easy to remove it.

1 Like

@BeeWay @horrido

We also explained it in the release announcement:

https://endeavouros.com/news/artemis-neo-is-available/

2 Likes

Indeed, you are right. My bad. I blindly installed EndeavourOS without reading anything because I was in a hurry to try it.

Will most newbies do the same? I think so.

1 Like

Yes It is, Other Distros have it hooked up, although it is know to be buggy/ and I know
this from experience from my previous distro.
As far as removing it I cant be bothered its still sitting there, EOS is know as the terminal
centric distro pacman yay or paru are your friends.

It is something we would like to see changed in the future. It just proved harder to do than anticipated since it is basically part of the theme.

I have no problem removing the icon after installing. I don’t need discover when i have packseek and or pamac-aur-git which both i have installed.

Ive probably no problem removing it either, I just cant be bothered.

I use terminator and update that way from the prompt.
And if you want to search its simple pacman/paru/yay -Ss Its the
same functionality for them all. @horrido learn to use the prompt :stuck_out_tongue:

We already know how to use it, but I remember I needed an explanation of how it works.
Arch Linux package management basics (hun).

Yes, I often use the command line but I tend to forget the less commonly used commands. That’s when a full GUI comes in handy.

However, if you want Linux to appeal to Windows or Mac users, you can’t force them to use the command line.

There are other LInux (non-Arch) distros out there for such use-cases which work great. The prime alternatives for me are Fedora and MX-Linux when I want it all primarily GUI-based.

In reference to the discover icon, thanks for pointing out, we are aware of the issue and would like to address it at some point in the future.

In reference to issue of the GUI package managers, our stance is clear and is stated in several previous blog posts.

We don’t ship a GUI package manager by default. This is partially because all the currently available options create support issues. However, if any individual wishes to use such a tool, they are more than welcome to do so. They are easily installed and we don’t oppose this any way.

We also include a GUI tool called EOS Quickstart which makes it easy to install a list of commonly used packages arranged by category.

However, this issue has been discussed endlessly to death and I don’t think we need to rehash it all again.

5 Likes