Kde Connect won't find phone

No. There is already more than enough automatic setup, going down this path will lead to chaos. It is expected from the user to know his/her system. It is impossible to take account of all firewall rules for every possible package.

Arch wiki is the best distro documentation in existence, and EndeavourOS has the best support forum. Just a quick search here will give you all the instructions you need, and if you can’t follow that, you can always ask. Given that, there is no excuse not to know how to make the rule yourself, if you want to use KDE Connect.

1 Like

We shouldn’t be pre-opening holes in the firewall for kdeconnect. The installation should be secure by default and if a user wants to allow kdeconnect traffic through, that should be something that they actively select and allow.

firewalld comes preconfigured with support for kdeconnect. You just need to select permanent and click the checkbox for kdeconnect.

You don’t even have to make a rule in this case. It is just a checkbox.

This is why firewalld is so easy to use. It comes preconfigured with support for tons of applications out of the box. In most cases, you don’t need to understand ports, ip addresses or anything else. You check the boxes for the things you want to work.

6 Likes

That’s the way I did it, but to be honest, you have to look for it to find it, it isn’t an obvious step that you would take for kdeconnect.

This issue is covered in the KDE UserBase Wiki - see https://userbase.kde.org/KDEConnect#firewalld.

I have also provisionally included it in my draft Discovery wiki entry on KDE - Proposed KDE Plasma entry for the Wiki - #14 by r0ckhopper