Just trying to see if I can get OpenCl driver recognized

Hello, wandering around, I found a link describing how to activate OpenCL in Linux, plus troubleshooting. I have an I7-4790 which is at the low end and barely supported, but Geekbench had a benchmark for OpenCl, so that means people have been able to get it to work. My understanding is OpenCl 1.2 is supported.

So the link I have been following is here: https://bashbaug.github.io/opencl/2019/07/06/OpenCL-On-Linux.html

Pretty complete, and I have verified that the /usr/lib/libOpenCL.so file is on my system, and by running clinfo and getting no devices, as I was able to figure out that the intel driver was not installed on my system, so I installed the intel-compute-runtime driver, which contains the legacy pre-broadwell drivers.

Next step was to confirm the installation by this command, according to the link I’ve been following:

[mark@mark-optiplex9020 ~]$ ls -l /etc/OpenCL/vendors/
total 4
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 35 Jan 7 12:48 intel.icd

checking clinfo again, the system can’t see it:

[mark@mark-optiplex9020 ~]$ clinfo
Number of platforms 0

Another troubleshooting step from he howto link was to verify that the entry contained a path, so I did that:

[mark@mark-optiplex9020 vendors]$ more intel.icd
/usr/lib/intel-opencl/libigdrcl.so

Since the system couldn’t see it, I tried as suggested running a trace using the strace command, using a simple command like clinfo to figure out what isn’t working, but it has a lot of output, and not sure what I’m looking for.

I’ve been able to confirm from this website that libOpenCL.so was correctly opened.

Also that the ICD loader able to open and read the vendor file.

Lastly, that the shared library for the OpenCL implementation was correctly opened, by this line in the output:

openat(AT_FDCWD, “/etc/OpenCL/vendors/intel.icd”, O_RDONLY) = 4

Compared to the example in the text:

open(“/etc/OpenCL/vendors/stub.icd”, O_RDONLY) = 4

That all looks good.

At this point I have the trace, I’m suspecting that my system doesn’t have the right paths setup further down in the sequence, but not sure what they should be. Getting this driver working is not a necessity, but if it can be done fairly easily, I thought I’d give it a shot.

Thanks in advance for any advice…

I’ve gone down the rabbit hole on this, and I think the drivers that made OpenCL possible on Haswell, have been deprecated. The newer ‘recommended’ driver doesn’t really support Haswell at all, from what I’m reading. All the references point in circles and down blind alleys. So we’ll shelve this idea.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.