Just thought I'd say hello

A few years ago I ran Arch for a year or two and then after that I switched to Fedora and then ran it for two years, but after the events of last week with Red Hat I thought it was time to move back to a real Linux community distribution. I didn’t really want to go through the manual installation of Arch again since I have done it more than a few times and last time I tried the arch-installer script in a vm it kept crashing on me so EndevourOS seemed to be the most logical distribution for me to switch to :slight_smile: I’m quite happy with my new setup and hope to stay with EndevourOS as long as I can since I dislike having switch unless there is a good reason to so since Distro-hopping isn’t a hobby of mine.

I have used Linux for a while so I am not new to most Linux things. I have tried out EndevourOS in the past in a vm and something I noticed today is that before EndevourOS was using mkinitcpio and now I see that it is using dracut. When did EndevourOS switch over to dracut and I’m curious(because I am curious of out interest) to know why because I thought it would be logical to stay with mkinitcpio to stay close to Arch as I thought it was EndevourOS goal stay as close to Vanilla Arch?

Nice to meet you all and a big thank you to the EndevourOS’s developer team for their work and making such an awesome distribution possible!!

4 Likes

Following some problems with Grub (https://endeavouros.com/news/full-transparency-on-the-grub-issue/) it was decided to switch to systemd-boot and dracut.

Welcome to the forum :wave: Enjoy the purple ride :enos_flag:

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation, link and welcome!! I did hear about the Grub problem Arch had a while ago, I didn’t notice EndeavourOS had switched to systemd boot because I chose Grub during the installation and seems to work fine.

1 Like

There’s plenty of people here still using Grub, so don’t worry.

2 Likes

Hello, and welcome @Cphusion! :enos: :enos_flag:

1 Like

Welcome @Cphusion !

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @Cphusion :enos: :enos_flag:

1 Like

Welcome @Cphusion to the wonderful world of EndeavourOS

I am sure once you are here there is no looking back or anywhere else.

An amazing distro and an amazing community. I’m on Linux since 2000 and still this is best distro and community I ever found.

P.S.

Just curious, why!
My personal point of view is I’m done with it! Why risk having unbootable system if I missed out reinstalling if there is an update?

1 Like

Because I’m used to using Grub since I have been using it since I have been using Linux and because I dislike that systemd also wants to do bootloading now(not a systemd hater but it doesn’t have to do everything). Lastly because a systemd update could make the system unbootable as well and whether a systemd update or grub update makes your system unbootable you don’t have to reinstall, as mentioned in the article linked by @r0ckhopper you can just boot from a flash drive and chroot into your system to fix it. If there came a situation where I would have to do a reinstall I wouldn’t mind because installing EndeavourOS takes a lot less time than installing Arch and all my important files are stored on my homeserver so no backups need to be made of my desktop.

2 Likes

Hello! :compass:
I’m sure you have chosen this OS on good 6th sense directions :wink:

It seems your preference based on your experience gave you a good choice for robustness of the software :slight_smile:

May you enjoy each day and tasks that you throw at your computers!

See you down the log,
François

1 Like

Hello @Cphusion and welcome to :enos: - Forum and the wonderfull Community!

1 Like

Thank you all for the warm welcomes! :enos: :enos_flag:

1 Like

I understand. Of course it os up to you as it is personal taste.
I just asked why because, well I see you are experienced enough and much more than me.

The issue I had with Grub I am sure you know it, sometimes if it gets updated and I didn’t notice I end up with an unbootable system. This I didn’t like. That’s the second reason I switched to systemd-boot. The first reason which is enough on its own is that EndeavourOS developer -whom I trust- selected it to be the default, and I personally prefer to follow defaults as much as possible, unless I have reason(s) not to.

1 Like

It’s the beauty about Linux and opensource to have choice, you can choose to use what want to use and what you don’t want to use :slight_smile:

1 Like

Definitely sure, one thing you have a hand, you have a word, you have freedom and choice PLUS not being a “slave” to a deffective-by-design operating system.

A software you think you bought but you do not have the right to reinstall on a new machine after your old machine dies. So you do not really own it!

By the way I saw it several times, crashing upon first boot just after getting it out of the box! (If I call the support they will tell me it is because I did not read the manual first, or what actually happened with me several times, it is not the OS problem, better call the manufacturer of the machine!)

Welcome! I think you’re going to fit in here just fine! I already like you.

I’m another happy GRUB+mkinitcpio user, it works fine on EndeavourOS, nothing wrong with that.

And frankly, I never understood people who are so worried about their system breaking on its own (which almost never happens) and the fact they might have to spend 5 minutes repairing it in the offchance it happens, that they spend hours upon hours hardening their system to the point of breaking it themselves. :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome!
I had noticed that the installer defaults to systemd-boot so I chose Grub instead, after the installation I noticed that dracut is used instead of mkinitcpio. I know I could change to mkinitcpio but I’m fine with using dracut and the last time I ran Arch I ran I only configured it during the installation and didn’t touch it afterwards, I was just wondering the reason since Arch still uses mkinitcpio.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums @Cphusion !! Nice to see you again :slight_smile:

1 Like