Just installed EndeavourOS; chose KDE, then no KDE. :(

Hi everyone! Hope you’re all having a nice life! :slight_smile:

I just installed EndeavourOS, I used endeavouros-2021.04.17-x86_64.iso. I’m not exactly new to Linux, nor I’m an expert but any means, though I can manage to solve most issues when they arise. Like I said, I just installed the OS, in Calamares I chose KDE, yet upon reboot KDE is nowhere to be seen. If I run startx “something” does start, but I’m not sure what that is; just three terminal windows, it appears to be some tiling WM. Also, I ran into a few issues when installing, this is a UEFI machine and the pkg efibootmgr was not installed, so the installation process wouldn’t complete. I had to reboot since I couldn’t umount the partition, launch xfce4-terminal, mount the partition to /mnt, arch-chroot and pacman -S efibootmgr and only then endeavour got “successfully” installed. I chose KDE, however, I didn’t see in the terminal output any KDE pkgs, only base, base-devel pkgs, so yeah, upon reboot no sddm, no kde, nada. I tried installing plasma, but I got not Internet connection since wireless-tools isn’t installed either, and no, no wired connection available. I’m writing this from another OS(it is a multiboot system) and would like to know how to solve this, or is it the only way booting the Live USB, mount the partition, arch-chroot and pacman -S plasma? I searched the forum and found this Minimum installation of plasma KDE - #15 by dalto which I don’t get because the title reads minimum installation of KDE yet it lists a bunch of no KDE stuff. Any help/advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your answers.

That wasn’t really successful. The installer failed in the middle. That is why all the packages are missing.

That is a way but why not just reinstall? You will be missing a lot of stuff beyond just plasma. You probably don’t have any of the eos packages, networking packages, etc.

You have to read the whole topic. That response you are quoting isn’t a list of what it takes for a minimum install. The OP had asked for a description of what all the packages in the installer were. That was a response to that question

1 Like

I did try reinstalling. When I first got the error about efibootmgr not found, I rebooted and tried again, same outcome, and that’s when I decided to arch-chroot and install the pkg. If I reinstall, how do I know the same thing won’t happen again? I would like to avoid that, my connection isn’t really that fast.

Ah, you’re right, sorry. I searched for KDE, and that response was all I saw, taking a second look I can see now there are more stuff at the beginning. I thought it was only 2 posts; yours, and the “thank you” one. So, your suggestion is reinstalling, but like I said, I’d prefer not to, any other idea? Thanks for the quick reply BTW.

Don’t unselect efibootmgr during the install process?

You can certainly arch-chroot into your system from the live ISO and install some things you are missing.

At the very least you should install eos-hooks in addition to whatever plasma related stuff you want. I would also recommend installing plasma-nm to ensure that NetworkManager gets pulled in.

After that, remember to enable sddm if you want a graphical DM.

EDIT: If you want a fairly minimal plasma installation I would recommend installing plasma, konsole and dolphin

I didn’t, I know this pkg is needed, why would I do such a thing? Also, isn’t this pkg supposed to be part of the base, base-devel pkg group? If it is, I didn’t touch that; when in software selection, I chose KDE and deselected kdeconnect, print stuff, elise and dragon.

Ok, so it’d be something like pacman -S plasma konsole dolphin eos-hooks plasma-nm? When you say minimal, how “minimal” exactly? I’d like to avoid installing the stuff I mentioned above plus the KDE PIM stack. Is that possible? Thank you for your reply and help. :slight_smile:

Pretty minimal. It doesn’t have any of that stuff you reference above. You won’t even have a text editor.

Here is what is in the plasma group:

bluedevil
breeze
breeze-gtk
discover
drkonqi
kactivitymanagerd
kde-cli-tools
kde-gtk-config
kdecoration
kdeplasma-addons
kgamma5
khotkeys
kinfocenter
kmenuedit
kscreen
kscreenlocker
ksshaskpass
ksystemstats
kwallet-pam
kwayland-integration
kwayland-server
kwin
kwrited
layer-shell-qt
libkscreen
libksysguard
milou
oxygen
plasma-browser-integration
plasma-desktop
plasma-disks
plasma-firewall
plasma-integration
plasma-nm
plasma-pa
plasma-sdk
plasma-systemmonitor
plasma-thunderbolt
plasma-vault
plasma-workspace
plasma-workspace-wallpapers
polkit-kde-agent
powerdevil
sddm-kcm
systemsettings
xdg-desktop-portal-kde

EDIT: I guess plasma-nm is already in the group.

Thank you. Will try that. Just to be entirely clear, the actual command would be pacman -S plasma konsole dolphin eos-hooks plus anything else I want/need?

Yeah,I noticed. :slight_smile:

Yes.

Since plasma is a group it will ask you to either accept installing everything or choose which parts of the group you want to install. I wouldn’t recommend skipping anything except discover unless you really know what you are doing though.

Thank you.

1 Like

Just installed plasma from the Live OS, everything is fine. Thanks again for all your help. One more thing, for anyone else facing a similar situation, apart from enabling sddm, it’s also neccessary to enable Network Manager.

systemctl enable NetworkManager.service

:slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.