Just a rant about the current state of Linux Desktop Environments

The subject matter is potentially inflammatory in an otherwise peaceful, harmonic Linux World where consensus reign supreme :rofl:

3 Likes

I just dislike it when people have so much to complain for something they get for free and don’t have a better alternative for and aren’t willing to create a better solution that would be better than already existing solutions.

3 Likes

You see, that’s why I was saying that english is not my first language and I can’t express myself the way I’d like to.

I just dislike it when people have so much to complain for something they get for free

I agree with you, and I didn’t want to complain!
I was just sharing some observations, asking for your opinion. That’s all.
I love Linux, i work on it and I more than happily use it everyday. I donate and try to contribute for a lot of projects and that’s more than fine how it is. Period.
I was just wondering if I was missing something, since I was frustrated, and there’s nothing wrong in feeling frustrated sometimes even if it is for something I get for free. It’s not complaining. It’s reasoning on how to make it even better and more functional for my needs.

and aren’t willing to create a better solution that would be better than already existing solutions

And that’s exactly why I was asking for your opinion. Because I knew I was missing something, and in fact some users has pointed me to the solution, which for my case is to use something like XFCE. That’s an existing solution which is totally fine and suits my needs better than Plasma, Gnome or standalone Window Managers for the reasons I explained above.

Sometimes it helps to share your thoughts with other people to clarify your ideas, and that was my only intention.

2 Likes

I wasn’t talking about you, just the other person I responded too. No worries, English isn’t my first language either so same goes with me.

3 Likes

Oh, sorry. That’s fine then!

…anyway, I’m slowly realizing that maybe I should just be using Debian Stable at this point :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

You have nothing you need apologise to us for, @loyak. You shared some thoughts, which is in the spirit of community, and I got to accidentally learn a thing or two in the process, so thanks :sweat_smile:

Oh I use Spectacle all the time (X11), and hadn’t realised it sported screen recording when used under Wayland. That would be handy :+1:

5 Likes

This kind of argument is pointless, you know for such project you need knowledge and some financial support. I think it’s adopted because it’s the only alternative to Xorg.

Constant arguing about Wayland is not the answer is pointless too since it seems to be where all the money is going, as you said it, but there is this which I haven’t heard up until today.

Can you pass me a pinch of that weed? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll have a toke for ya

I don’t care much about Wayland as an Xfce user, I will see when I have to use it, although the extensions protocols is not what I was expecting (the fact that some DE/WM use certain extensions and others don’t).

Arcan started in 2012, but nobody cared, maybe because they had not Redhat/IBM behind.

Quite understandable. I always preferred KDE Plasma over the others, even though I had a lot of issues with it as well. I’ve currently switched to Xfce4, and it brings me the least headache, compared to the others I had experience with.

My reasons were accompanied with some graphic artifact issues described in this post, and for some time I was sure that Xfce4 took away those problems once and for all, but they soon turned out to be back, though in a much smaller scale, which is still a big thing for me.

Still hoping that a fix will present itself in the future, as the software development proceeds forward, and I’ll be able to install KDE back. Maybe until that time they’ll get Wayland to a much better state as well. But while this is not a thing, Xfce4 is always a perfect retreat.

3 Likes