Journalctl errors

I was just learning journalctl, and decided to check my system. Should I do anything about these errors?

I’m on mobile so it’s hard to look at your errors from a screenshot. Could you copy them and provide them as formatted text

Like this?

That way it’s easier to look and work with them for other imo.

For your first error that seems to be a bug in your BIOS/EFI firmware which would take a patch from your motherboard vendor. Do you happen to run a prebuild Dell PC or a Dell motherboard? If so maybe This could help you but I guess it’s nothing to worry about.

Will take a look at the other errors once I get on my computer.

1 Like
[michael@eos-22 ~]$ journalctl -p 3 -xb
Apr 07 12:44:20 eos-22 kernel: DMAR: [Firmware Bug]: No firmware reserved region can cover this RMRR [0x000000009d800000-0x000000009fffffff], contact BIOS vendor f>
Apr 07 12:44:20 eos-22 systemd[219]: /usr/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-gpt-auto-generator failed with exit status 1.
Apr 07 12:45:53 eos-22 gnome-session-binary[495]: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
Apr 07 12:45:53 eos-22 gnome-session-binary[495]: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
Apr 07 12:46:16 eos-22 gdm-password][716]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
Apr 07 12:46:21 eos-22 systemd[726]: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit UNIT has failed
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
░░ 
░░ A start job for unit UNIT has finished with a failure.
░░ 
░░ The job identifier is 388 and the job result is failed.
Apr 07 12:46:24 eos-22 gdm-launch-environment][472]: GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

The only way I know how to post errors is screeenshots or copy text. Is there another way?

I ran yay -Syy and pacman -Syy and this is the latest journal error report.

Apr 07 12:58:30 eos-22 kernel: DMAR: [Firmware Bug]: No firmware reserved region can cover this RMRR [0x000000009d800000-0x000000009fffffff], contact BIOS vendor f>
Apr 07 12:58:42 eos-22 gnome-session-binary[480]: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion ‘error == NULL || *error == NULL’ failed
Apr 07 12:58:42 eos-22 gnome-session-binary[480]: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion ‘error == NULL || *error == NULL’ failed
Apr 07 13:05:50 eos-22 gdm-password][2070]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
Apr 07 13:05:58 eos-22 gdm-launch-environment][459]: GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed

Well how you have formatted it now is perfect.

I guess you meant to run pacman -Syu or pacman -Syyu to run a system upgrade though, didn’t you?
Instead of doing that you could simply run yay to run a full system upgrade with AUR packages included.

Running pacman -Syy only syncs your local package database with the online mirrors if I’m not mistaken.

Yes I ran yay as well :smiley:
The journalctl report has changed after I updated. I have an old laptop so updating the BIOS is not a concern right now.

But these critical Gnome errors are still there and it is a fresh install with Gnome 41.

I’ll take a look at the other errors now but as long as everything runs as expected I wouldn’t worry to much like I already said. My Journal also shows a lot of errors but what I got from looking them up was that most of them where harmless and happening for a lot of users that said they could be safely ignored.

Do you notice anything that’s obviously behaving wrong with you GNOME installation?

@HMS_Endeavour
Edit:
From what this tells me there is an error happening in the gnome-session-binary when it calls this function of the GIO lib. I’d say that’s something that the GTK/GNOME developers have to fix and nothing that should concern you. I’m running KDE myself so I can’t check if the error is happening for me too.

This seems like and old still unsolved bug in GNOME / GDM that shouldn’t be a problem. See here.

I’m not sure because its the first time in 25+ years I have used Gnome. I just don’t like to see critical errors. Thanks for the advice.

The critical error is a firmware problem. Check if there is a Bios update? If it’s a newer system it will be UEFI firmware. Check if a newer update is available. The other message is a Gnome issue. Unless you actively notice something not working and are sure these are the cause then these aren’t problematic, ignore them. I wouldn’t be to overly concerned about it. If there are specific problems then look for the answer to a specific issue. Just because there are informational messages that refer to errors doesn’t mean you’ll be able to solve them nor does it mean you will have an issue. Some errors with UEFI or Bios may not be solvable. Some require a work around using a kernel parameter if you have a specific issue. It all depends on the hardware and the manufacturers implementation of UEFI firmware (Bios). Desktop specific issues can also be software related.

If the output is smaller you can copy and paste it from the terminal as long as you use code tags. It is advisable to open the terminal to full screen when running these commands. For larger output it’s best to use commands that will upload the output and then you can post the link.

example:

journalctl -p 3 -xb | eos-sendlog
1 Like

Thank you Rick, that is so helpful.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.