It seems the lastest Xorg does not like 390xx nVidia cards

Have Arch on my old “distro-tester” with a fairly old nvidia card. Xorg updated today and it wouldn’t start the desktop on reboot. Ran lightdm in debug mode and saw it wasn’t getting permission then ran “xorg --configure” and, as I suspected, the 390xx card isn’t supported. Rather than try to reconfig pacman to hold xorg back or hope the old 390xx updates to be compatible in the AUR, I might dig the old 700 series card I have in my parts bin and try running with the 470xx driver. For now, I’ve removed 390xx and put Nouveau in it’s place and at least the desktop will start again.
Anyway, just thought I’d give a heads-up in case anyone else has a card this old.

1 Like

The 390xx drivers are in the AUR in case you are not aware.

Same here. After latest Xorg update, I had to remove nvidia-390xx-dkms and 20-nvidia.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (Nvidia optimization). Now, that nouveau is up and running, everything works like expected.

inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GF100 [GeForce GTX 465] driver: nouveau v: kernel
           Device-2: Logitech Webcam C270 type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.21.1.1 driver: loaded: modesetting resolution: 1920x1080
           OpenGL: renderer: NVC0 v: 4.3 Mesa 21.2.4

Well, it looks like the 390xx drivers are already patched in the AUR and I’ve verified they work on the old machine. Kind of impressed with how fast he turned that around.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s @jonathon. Always doing a great job!

2 Likes