It is not possible to connect from mobile phones to the mobile internet-based hotspot created on EndeavourOS

A laptop running EndeavorOS and a mobile internet dongle provides the internet. He created it. a hotspot with Wpa/Wpa2/Wpa3 personal security, password. iPhone SE 2016 can connect to it without further ado, but iPhone SE 2020, iPad Air 2020, Lenovo Yoga Smart Tab, Huawei Mate 20 Lite cannot. When trying to connect, the iPhone SE 2020 says that the Wi-Fi channel is not suitable, the other devices do not have any special error messages, they simply cannot connect. In the past, all devices could connect to the hotspot. What could be the reason for this and how could it be remedied?

Firstly, who is “he”?

Secondly, please have him provide some information as all help threads need it.

Thirdly, they likely set something up incorrectly if 4 of 5 phones don’t work. Please have them sign up so we can assist them better instead of playing the middle man.

Folks who use Endeavour should be the master of their own system, not have you system admin to them. There are better options for that imo

Strange that the oldest device is able to connect and newer can not.
I’d check various wifi provider settings and their values, channels and wpa* compatibilities with those devices.
And see the wifi settings on the iPhone SE 2016. Maybe the hotspot is set to support only that?

Sorry, I created a hotspot. Unfortunately, when WPA 3 personal is set, activation of the hotspot fails, even though, for example, Apple’s newer devices prefer this.

So… better change the WPA settings to such that the newer devices are able to connect.

Note that if there’s a selection like wpa/wpa2/wpa3, it may be incompatible with some devices. Then it needs to be narrowed down to e.g. wpa2/wpa3 or just wpa3. The newer standard, the better.

Also, if possible, set both 2,4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies on the provider with different WPA* settings?

I don’t think that only the iPhone 2016 is supported by the dongle, previously all devices were able to connect. In fact, the iPhone SE 2020 can connect to a hotspot created on a system recently updated to Kubuntu 22.04, although it says in the connection properties that it has weak security.

Of course, I already tried to play with the frequency and the security level, but to no avail.

Note that I didn’t imply that. Merely the current settings by the hotspot may be incompatible with other devices. I’d try using different WPA settings on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

I agree or it could also be the security protocol it is trying to use.

I tried separately with 2.4 GHz, also separately with 5 GH. I can’t even set up Wep for encryption, because it’s no longer accepted. In addition, there is WPA/WPA2 personal. In this case, only one device (iPhone SE 2016) was able to connect to the EndeavorOS mobile internet hotspot. The others usually refused the connection without an error message. (iPhone SE 2020, iPad Air 2020, Huawei Mate 20 Lite, Lenovo Yoga Smart Tab). Even the iPhone SE 2020 was the most talked about, when it said during connection that the Wi-Fi channel was not suitable, maybe restart the router so that it can automatically set a better channel.
At the same time, interestingly, the iPhone SE 2020 was able to connect to the same mobile internet-based hotspot created on Kubuntu 22.04 installed on the same laptop, although the phone said when connecting that WPA/WPA2 is weak security.

Arch has newer packages…

Yeah, that’s what I thought too. There are also disadvantages to the rolling release model compared to the point release model.

The point release model only delays the inevitable.

It seems that the laptop’s Wifi adapter does not support WPA3. Android 10, iOS 15/16 prefers WPA3, although WPA2/WPA3 Transitional is also used for compatibility. Although this security mixed mode can be set on the laptop when creating the hotspot, the Wifi adapter probably does not support this either. Only on the same laptop I managed to connect to the mobile internet based hotspot created on Kubuntu 22.04 with the mobile devices, I think this won’t work for long either. In any case, I don’t understand the reason for this, that in this case WPA2 security is sufficient for, say, the iPad 4 and iPhone SE2, as well as the Huawei Mate 20 Lite phone running Android 10.