Issues with Plasma 6

I had Plasma 5 before EOS and I loved it.
EOS shipped with plasma 6 by default for me and I liked it, until I couldn’t get almost none of the previous widgets(better inline clock, thermals, and many, many more). This quite understandable, as it’s new, but is there any practical way(quick, even dirty maybe?) to make them work on plasma 6?

Not unless they have been ported over to plasma 6

For reasons I don’t totally understand, it seemed the people developing/supporting widgets did not take advantage of the quite extended alpha/beta periods to port their widgets. Obviously, as volunteer effort, they are not required to, but it’s still a little disappointing.

1 Like

A lot of these haven’t been updated in years if you look on https://www.pling.com and the creator may have moved on top another DE etc by now or simply lost interest or may have no need to update it if there system is still on KDE5

1 Like

I feel like spamming, as I’ve also answered your other post, but I find this thread here more relevant. It would be helpful if you mentioned what “ many, many more things" aren’t quite there yet for you. There could be other solutions & alternatives till Plasma 6 takes its time & starts getting care. As you can see from the screenshot, I have a simple Latte substitute, my weather, my thermals, my conkies & for me, my desktop is pretty much the same as it was with plasma 5. :enos: :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

This is a constant ache with Linux - some outstanding examples for me are Easystroke, Guayadeque, and the revered Event Calendar.

Quite often, as students and fresh developers come up with new widgets and music players, we lose older stuff which in many cases had better features and functionality.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve noticed a trend toward simplification and less options.

Guayadeque was an awesome music player. I remember when it first came out. I used it for a long time.

1 Like

It’s the same on windows. Software gets old, developers move on, needs and trends change. There’s software that i was using back in my windows days that is no longer there.

3 Likes