Issue with SDDM

OK my bad. It was with @2000 that we established that manual snaposhots weren’t added. @xircon I was thinking it was you cause you’re the one that asked me to rollback to before I made the the changes mentioned above. Sill would like the two of you to weigh in on the feature request though.

If I used btrfs I would, but I don’t.

Have you tried to update grub to see if they appear?

The Btrfs set up is in the Wiki by commmunity member @2000. There is nothing to weigh in on.

On timeshifts github :smiley:

It shouldn’t matter how the snapshot is created the feature still needs to be added. If you don’t feel like weighing in that’s fine, it’s just a request.

???

You cannot boot off an rsync snapshot (AFAIK).

Weighing in where you posted, not on @2000 wiki entry.

You can boot into ANY snapshot as long as it is added to the list in the boot list of snapshots. YES! on timeshift’s github feature request thread I created and linked above.

You can only boot off BTRFS snapshots, and in my case the rsync snapshots are on a different disk.

You’re right, I don’t know why I included Ext4. Sorry about that.

@Antynea has since updated his instructions on how to set up grub-btrfs to work with Timeshift.

See this forum thread and Antynea’s instructions on how to “Automatically update grub” for Timeshift.

This issue should now be resolved.

4 Likes

Cool, and thanks. I’ll have a look, much appreciated.

Is this not how your wiki tutorial works?

My workaround to the issue that manual snapshots didn’t automatically invoke a grub upgrade (still) is to do this automatically at every shutdown.

This still works and in my opinion even has some benefits in certain use-cases (e. g. just one grub update vs. one on every manual snapshot run). For now I don’t see the need to modify the Wiki article.

2 Likes

Yes, i agree that it works fine and I’m happy with how it works. I was just wondering. Manual snapshots to me are just there for when you need it. I’d rather just let the your setup do what it’s designed to do. I think it’s great! Thanks again for your great tutorial.

2 Likes