Isolinux is missing or corrupt

After reading the article https://discovery.endeavouros.com/installation/create-install-media-usb-key/2021/03/ I did the following.

I downloaded the image file EndeavourOS_Apollo_22_1.iso, and verified its integrity using SHA512sum.
The iso file was in Downloads folder. USB stick was labeled as sda1. I went to Downloads folder, clicked and opened Downloads folder in the terminal and typed the following, as described in the article mentioned above:

sudo dd bs=4M if=EndeavourOS_Apollo_22_1.iso of=/dev/sda1 conv=fsync oflag=direct status=progress

After it finished transferring the files, I ejected the USB drive and then put it in the PC where I wanted to install EOS. Booted in, changing the boot priority first to the USB drive, and got the error:

Isolinux is missing or corrupt

I really want to ditch my Windows system on my 2nd PC. On my 1st PC, I installed Linux Mint and the installation went very smooth. I had zero troubles. But installation of EndeavourOS is becoming real pain… Please, help me…

Hello,

• From where are you trying to run the command?
  • Are you on Windows or Linux?
  • If on Linux what is the distribution?
1 Like

To write the Live Install image to your USB run the following command:

sudo dd bs=4M if=/path/to/endeavouros-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdX conv=fsync oflag=direct status=progress

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/installation/create-install-media-usb-key/2021/03/

So try:

of=/dev/sda instead of of=/dev/sda1

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Hello
I’m running the command from the terminal, and I open it inside the downloads folder, where the iso file is located, like this PC_name:~/Downloads$

Linux Mint mate, Ubuntu 20.3

Thanks for your answer.

So, just to be sure, the command line should be:

sudo dd bs=4M if=/path/to/endeavouros-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sda conv=fsync oflag=direct status=progress

no matter what the path to the iso file is, no matter what the iso file’s name is, and no matter what the number N in the flash drive label sdaN is, right?

The path to the ISO, from the current working directory, needs to be placed after if=.

The rest should be right.

Not really.

Apart from the number of the partition (for example /dev/sda1 etc.) everything else matters.

In your case, if you are already in Downloads folder and the usb flashdrive is /dev/sda, then:

sudo dd bs=4M if=EndeavourOS_Apollo_22_1.iso of=/dev/sda conv=fsync oflag=direct status=progress

edit:

Linux Mint should have a GUI USB Imagewriter preinstalled if I remember correctly. You might want to use that instead

2 Likes

Thanks, it worked. So my initial command line was correct except the number 1 in sda1 should have been dropped.

I purposefully used command line, because imagewriters (Balena Etcher) already failed me once, and the article you mention writes that imagewriters are not recommended.

1 Like

Right!
Glad that you got it sorted out!
:wave:t5:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.