Is XFCE faster than Cinnamon?

I am going to install a new version on one of my laptops. It’s a 4th gen i7 2 core with 12GB of RAM.
My main install is Plasma which I admit is my favorite, but thats on my desktop.
For this laptop, would XFCE be better than Cinnamon speed wise or I wouldn’t see any difference?
Is there more stability with XFCE? What about customization?
Thanks.

I think Xfce is faster. You can make Xfce look any way you want.

6 Likes

I generally tend to think so. Not like NIGHT AND DAY difference, but it does seem to pretty much always use a little less resources and be a bit more responsive.

3 Likes

If plasma is your favorite, why would you not use it on the laptop? In 2021 it is lighter weight that xfce or cinnamon. Since moving to gtk3, xfce isn’t all that light anymore.

Between the 2, xfce will be lighter than cinnamon. Whether any of that will be noticeable is another question.

Also, you have 12GB of ram, I don’t think you are going to have any problems running any of them. Just use whatever you enjoy using the most.

5 Likes

Usually Xfce is also more stable. I’d recommend trying offline install first, because it provides nice desktop settings. But it is also easy to have about the same desktop settings with online Xfce install (which provides vanilla Xfce), using the appopriate button in Welcome. But of course settings are a matter of taste.

5 Likes

In my fairly limited experience with XFCE, I find Plasma to be slightly more performant, and just as light on the resources. This could be my bias though, I haven’t run any benchmarks or anything.

But if you are looking for the really performant desktop, consider using a bare window manager like dwm, instead of a bloated desktop environment.

1 Like

I tried i3 and got lost in it very fast :blush:

My point exactly, in GNOME you get lost slowly. :rofl:

7 Likes

Because of one simple reason. No matter how many times I’ve tried Plasma on this laptop, in the end of boot, If I don’t open and close the screen, the plasma menu refuses to show.

Sounds fixable to me but if you would prefer to use something else, my advice still still holds. Just use the one you enjoy using more and don’t worry overly about minor performance differences.

5 Likes

Yeah, agree. Somehow XFCE being the lightest of them all has stuck from the old times.
KDE and XFCE nowadays have the same memory footprint.

1 Like

I’m going to retry KDE for now. Maybe I can solve the problem with the opening and closing of the lid for it to start.

Cinnamon will just work forever in my experience.

Xfce has more customization.

Customization makes things easier to break.

Both will be plenty fast with your specs, I would use whatever you prefer.

1 Like

I first tried Cinnamon on my X-wife’s computer which she now thinks is the ‘new’ Windows 10. Hasn’t given her 1 single problem. I got to like it myself.
I had to disable the ENOS welcome app or that would have been a dead giveaway

6 Likes

… and you can’t find your way back! :rofl:

3 Likes

Xfce is usually these days being hammered in Youtube videos because it is “not as light as it used to be” (Plasma for example uses less resources these days). However there is more to the truth:

While Cinnamon is only slightly heavier in initial RAM usage than Xfce, and Plasma is lighter, Xfce is… snappier. By far. It just feels more responsive.
Also, from what I have seen it uses less resources at increased usage (meaning Plasma with Firefox started uses more RAM than Xfce with Firefox started despite starting off with less RAM used).

3 Likes

Is there any objective benchmark to support this?

I have no idea. Just me using Xfce and the other DEs mentioned over the last three years :slight_smile:

I have Xfce, Cinnamon, and Kde all installed on the same hardware on separate drives. Kde is on an SSD though and the others are on m.2 drives which are much faster. I can’t tell much difference using them on newer hardware with loads of ram. Honestly without doing specific testing on each that are comparing apples to apples. I don’t see or feel much difference because i have pretty powerful system.

1 Like

The fastest thing I’ve tested is probably Gnome on Clear Linux on a pretty normal computer. Dell T30. Intel Xeon E3-1225 v5, 16GB RAM and a standard SSD.

It just felt fast. I never measured anything.

3 Likes