Is virtualization working correctly?

I want to use virt-manager to use my VMs, however I want to make sure I am correctly using kvm for native performance.

I ran:

LC_ALL=C lscpu | grep Virtualization

and it outputs:

Virtualization:                  VT-x

Not too sure if this is supposed to be ok or not? Currently I am noticing Windows 7 to be slow and slightly laggy but I am currently installing the OS and no drivers would be running so just making sure it is working fine?

Do you have opengl acceleration enbaled?

No idea how do I check this?

According to some video he is running this:

See that flag?

Is virtmanager also doing this?

Since qemu is a type 1 hypervisor, does this mean I have to install AMD graphics card drivers on Windows 7 to get native performance?

Well you would go into virt-manager, open your particular virtual machine’s window and click on the ‘Show virtual hardware details’ icon and go to the ‘Display Spice’ tab.

Until your post I didn’t even know you could run windows guests with KVM so I can’t really help you with that as my knowledge is limited.

This is what I see:

I thought with any OS using virt-manager/qemu it would directly use hardware?

Well yeah now you click on opengl and do what it tells you to do.

Again, I know very little about virtualisation; I’ve never run qemu from the command line.

Seem to get this issue now mate.

I watched this video it works:

Even though hardware 3D accelerationg works, it’s still quite laggy.

It turns out I might need to install these drivers

https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/archive-virtio/virtio-win-0.1.215-2/

You’ve probably already done this but it might be a good idea to try to spin up a linux guest to see if the problem is with windows specifically, or your configuration.

1 Like