Is this the end of the content blockers as we know them today?

@jonathon

I know what you would say

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge’s_Law_of_Headlines

:wink:

3 Likes

I have one (hyphenated) word for you: Pi-hole.

9 Likes

Right, I must seriously look into the :pie: :hole:.

Could using host files be a viable option as well?

1 Like

Yep.

Although I don’t think it’s time to panic just yet. I’m gonna wait a bit to see how this plays out.

4 Likes

Great! I will have a look at those too.

No, no reason for panic as you say. But perhaps is good to have some plan before the thing hit the fan.

2 Likes

This may end up as perfect timing for me, as I am hoping Santa brings me a Raspberry Pi for Christmas (don’t tell him how naughty I’ve been :shushing_face:) that’s slated to host a Pi-hole.

2 Likes

This is why anyone who cares about privacy should be using firefox.

Content blockers will still be able to provide functionality equivalent to a pi-hole even with this implemented. It is the more advanced functionality that will suffer.

5 Likes

Me too!
(naughty too :blush:)

2 Likes

You guys know you can run a pi-hole anywhere right? You don’t need a raspberry pi.

It is in AUR, you can just install it.

8 Likes

Yes, but my use of a Raspberry Pi is specifically tied to my desire to re-purpose a huge aluminum Apple PowerMac G5 case. A Pi-hole isn’t really necessary for me at the moment, but since I’m gonna stick a Pi in that case anyway, I figure why not?

7 Likes

I wasn’t remotely aware of this option. I am very well aware that some stuff will be above my technical abilities. Time to step up my game!

2 Likes

Actually Vivaldi is as good if not better at protecting one’s privacy. As far as I know their builtin ad / content blocker will not be affected by Googles attempt to further invade our privacy.

Not even close in my opinion. It doesn’t have anything equivalent to Firefox’s containers.

Their native adblocker is quite limited compared to some of the extensions available.

The reality is that manifest v3 won’t be the death of “adblocking”. It will have a bigger impact on privacy though.

1 Like

I have a pi I literally do nothing with. I need to set this up already.

1 Like

Actually any of the list from the major blockers can be added to their blocker. As for privacy regardless of what Google wants we will always find a way to protect our privacy.

Exactly. That’s why I use Firefox only! Google will never know!

-Sent from my Android device

3 Likes

Reading on my Android phone.
Seriously!
:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Heard it was going to be a Blueberry pi. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I was secretly hoping for cherry… :cherries: :pie:

1 Like

Another alternate is “Adguard” – in the AUR as adguardhome.

It works on the DNS level, similar to pi-hole.

3 Likes