Is it possible to install an application already packaged from another Arch-based distro's repo?

I am trying to install Timeshift from Manjaro’s community repo but I am having issues with the maintainer’s key:

$ sudo pacman -U http://manjaro.mirrors.uk2.net/stable/community/x86_64/timeshift-20.03.r8.gad3c01c-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

timeshift-20.03....   749,5 KiB  1802 KiB/s 00:00 [----------------------] 100%
 timeshift-20.03....   310,0   B  0,00   B/s 00:00 [----------------------] 100%
loading packages...
:: Import PGP key 428F7ECC7117F726, "Helmut Stult <helmut@manjaro.org>"? [Y/n] y
error: key "428F7ECC7117F726" could not be looked up remotely
error: required key missing from keyring
error: '/var/cache/pacman/pkg/timeshift-20.03.r8.gad3c01c-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst': unexpected error
$ gpg --recv  428F7ECC7117F726
gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error
$ gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 428F7ECC7117F726

gpg: key CEE477135C5872B0: "Helmut Stult (schinfo) <helmut.stult@schinfo.de>" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:              unchanged: 1

$  sudo pacman -U http://manjaro.mirrors.uk2.net/stable/community/x86_64/timeshift-20.03.r8.gad3c01c-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

loading packages...
:: Import PGP key 428F7ECC7117F726, "Helmut Stult <helmut@manjaro.org>"? [Y/n] n
error: required key missing from keyring
error: '/var/cache/pacman/pkg/timeshift-20.03.r8.gad3c01c-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst': unexpected error

Is there a way I can work around this?

Timeshift is in AUR as well but I thought since it is already built … :blush:

2 Likes

You are better off just using the AUR version. It doesn’t take that long to build. Also remember you will also need to install cronie on EndeavourOS. Manjaro does a lot of modifications to AUR packages to get them to work with their OS.

9 Likes

You can decide

5 Likes

Alright. I understand. But theoretically speaking, if it is about a package without modifications that can be run on “vanilla” Arch, would installing such a package be possible? In that case how could one resolve the key issue?

1 Like

Thanks @librewish! I will have a look.

2 Likes

Anyone tempted to try this at home, please read first the post by @dalto right after the one marked as solution.

I resolved it by adding the maintainer’s/developer’s key to pacman keyring with the help of ArchWiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman-key#Adding_developer_keys

After that Timeshift got installed.

I realize that this is perhaps an uncommon way of installing a package and should not generally be used.

But as an “exercise” it worked fine.

1 Like

It is a relatively bad idea to install packages from the Manjaro repos on a non-Manjaro distribution.

You are essentially creating a partial update scenario. Manjaro’s packaging has an ever increasing amount of differences with other Arch-based distros. Perhaps even more importantly, Manjaro’s branches are deliberately delayed which means they will be out-of-sync with Arch.

If you must do it, it would be better to pull from unstable than stable. That being said, I wouldn’t do it.

11 Likes

Thanks for your word of caution!

Yes I thought about that and I checked the branches. They are all at the same version.

Alright, I understand. I just got the (bad) idea and wanted to try it anyway to see if it will work. It is not something I will be doing as a matter of course.

Maybe EOS could add timeshift to their repos?

Building from AUR is fine, but coming from Manjaro I was quite surprised to see that this application is not in either Arch or EOS repos.

5 Likes

I just ran Timeshift and made the first snapshot of my system. It worked as expected.

I will keep a close eye on my system to see if the installation of the app will cause any hiccups. In such case I will uninstall immediately.

That would be ideal.
:slightly_smiling_face:

They are now the same version. When unstable updates, and before testing and stable update, they probably won’t be.

2 Likes

Vote for it on https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/timeshift/ and it may someday get included in the Arch community repo.

2 Likes

I don’t have an Arch account. Well, I do, but I don’t remember it, it was created at least 12 years ago :slight_smile:

The endeavouros repo does not contain a lot of things, it’s mostly yay, some scripts and utils, and some basic theming. As far as I understand @Bryanpwo this is intentional to make repo maintenance always possible and ensure the longevity of EndeavourOS. A wise decision, in my opinion.

You can list all of the packages in endeavouros by running:

pacman -Ss | awk '/^endeavouros/ { print $1 }'
pacman -Sl endeavouros
The result (at the time of making this post)

endeavouros/akm
endeavouros/arc-x-icons-theme
endeavouros/downgrade
endeavouros/endeavouros-keyring
endeavouros/endeavouros-mirrorlist
endeavouros/endeavouros-theming
endeavouros/endeavouros-xfce4-terminal-colors
endeavouros/eos-base
endeavouros/eos-hooks
endeavouros/eos-log-tool
endeavouros/eos-rankmirrors
endeavouros/eos-update-notifier
endeavouros/grub-tools
endeavouros/grub2-theme-endeavouros
endeavouros/inxi
endeavouros/keyserver-rank
endeavouros/mkinitcpio-openswap
endeavouros/nvidia-installer
endeavouros/nvidia-installer-db
endeavouros/nvidia-installer-dkms
endeavouros/pahis
endeavouros/paper-icon-theme
endeavouros/reflector-auto
endeavouros/reflector-simple
endeavouros/welcome
endeavouros/yay

2 Likes

Another way which might be a little more efficient is like this:

pacman -Sl endeavouros
10 Likes

Bearing in mind @dalto’s warnings, there are a number of user maintained repos:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/unofficial_user_repositories

I use Archlinux China a lot, emacs-git and alacritty mainly, it saves me having to compile daily.

1 Like

My question is why would you want to? :thinking:

To save the time building the package apparently… :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Well - depends on what package and where from, I think. For instance, I add the EOS repo to Arch - which gives me yay - and all the other EOS goodies. Only a workable idea with repos that are for ‘close’ Arch-based, though… For instance - Garuda might be worth raiding too? :grin:

1 Like

Do you know what I need to add to pacman.conf for Garuda’s repo? I would be interested to have a look at their tools and test if they caould be run on EOS.