Is Chrome OS a force to reckon with in the future of personal computing?

Here’s a fun fact, i was a beta tester for the first chromebooks and i couldnt stand that the keybord didnt have a backspace and a delete key and i couldnt get my head around pressing shift plus the one to do the other and so i ended up selling it after testing was over. I had dual booted with ubuntu and all that. they never gave me another opportunity to beta test and i wouldnt even know how to reach out to them to beta test anything else.

1 Like

Yes…I have a Lenovo 500e 2 in one and it drives me crazy with no backspace or delete key. Still haven’t figured out how to use it well. It’s very annoying!

1 Like
1 Like

Sauron? You made your ring out of chrome?

With many more Win10 machines becoming obsolete… :thinking:

1 Like

Interesting … :thinking:

ChromeOS Flex is what Neverware CloudReady is becoming after they were acquired by Google. If anyone wants to play with it now it’s still available:

Yes. But if I am not mistaken, Chrome OS Flex will be getting the same features as Chrome OS have now, that is, possibility to run Android and also perhaps eventually Linux as well?

1 Like

CloudReady is ChromiumOS and it has a Linux subsystem available already. I haven’t tried it for a little while so it might have more things now too. :grin:

1 Like

ChromeOS doing what Linux couldn’t for 30 years (yet)? It would be very sarcastic.

1 Like

I just tried it shortly some years ago. Back then it was basically only the browser and some web apps if I remember it correctly.

Some time ago, I succumbed to the hype ( :man_facepalming:t5:) and bought a Chromebook with a 10th gen Intel 5 cpu. It is pretty powerful for what it does and the Linux in the container runs pretty well as if it were native. And then there is Play Store for Android apps.

Arch Linux on Chrome OS

Share Your Desktop - #4925 by pebcak

My guess is when Google is done with its plans to separate the OS from the browser and the OS becomes a more independent platform, and also with the rise in the market share, more developers will be making apps that can be run on the OS. Someday one might be able to run Photoshop natively or play one’s favourite games with the same performance in Windows or why not play them in the Linux on Chrome OS.

I am not a fan of Google and I have been and still am in the process to getting away from my dependency on their services but I find it fascinating what they are doing both technologically and also how they aim to get that bigger piece of the market cake.

3 Likes

I thing the rise in sales is due to elderly and non comuter savy people wanting to stay in tuch with family, and to stay updated newswise during the pandemic.

It’s no small wonder that I bought my nonageric mother a tuch capable chromebook. She loves the thing. I more than sceptic, but it suites her like a glove.

1 Like

Chrome OS is like Windows S only a little better and a lot more spying!

2 Likes

No… Notta … No Thanks. Frameworks laptop …maybe. ChromeOS absolutely not!

2 Likes

choice a good thing … :wink: Plus make good business , no everyone want /need window or linux.

2 Likes

Everyone needs EndeavourOS. :laughing:

think you say " i take the 5th " :rofl: :wink:

1 Like

But you’ll enjoy the slurping sound of it copying all your data :ghost:

1 Like

Copying? Data never makes it to your PC’s storage on ChromeOS!

1 Like