Is aur down again?

Probably not, but they’ve already DDoS’ed the AUR at least three times (that I remember), and I remember that Pamac was blocked at least two times from accessing the AUR by the Arch maintainers (a ban which was soon lifted).

Asking Pamac users to “AUR responsibly” is just silly. They are not going to stop, just because you’ve asked nicely. In fact, they are very likely not even going to understand what you’re asking of them, for if Pamac users were able to follow simple instructions, they would probably be using pacman and yay :rofl:

So I cannot place any blame on the users, just like I cannot blame a wasp for stinging me – it lacks agency to be responsible for its actions. It’s the software author who is responsible (and who, originally, brought this software into existence, irreversibly).

The AUR infrastructure wasn’t intended for AUR helpers, and definitely not for graphical AUR helpers that make thousands of requests to the server. The carelessness of the Manjaro team has put the existence of the AUR for all of us into danger, at least three times in the past.

I’m not saying that it is at all connected to this present issue (btw, everything seems fine on my end now, so it seems to be resolved), I am just making an argument that removes the blame from the users and puts it on the developers, and tries to explain why whenever the AUR is down, for whatever reason, many people’s first thought is: “is Manjaro at it again?”.

9 Likes