Interesting DEs

KGnome Fish! :laughing:

Cutefish Desktop

Cutefish desktop environment is an efficient, beautiful, and modern desktop environment built using Qt Quick and some KDE basic frameworks.

https://en.cutefishos.com/

https://github.com/cutefishos

It’s more of Kutefish seems like.

Or Qutefish?
:blowfish:

Should be then Qtfish? :wink:
Edit:
Not sure if is somewhat like Deepin?

:pray: Mac copy … i pass ( if want mac use one )

Not rare or unheard of, but I like the looks of fvwm-crystal. My only issue with it is I don’t want to compile the whole thing manually, and the version in Debian (even SID) is from 2016, and weirdly the latest version in AUR is the same…so that’s a big nope for me with that old a version.

That sounds like fvwm-crystal is pretty much dead.

Well, the project actually has had like 20 releases since the version in Debian or the AUR, including one last month. Just noone seems to be packaging it.

fvwm-crystal is actually pretty cool and effective, as well as fairly efficient; too bad it’s not commonly packaged.

I don’t need to experiment with it anymore but for those who might be interested it would be worth trying it out.

I started with a cat’s whisker radio that got upgaded to a diode crystal set.
Length of wire down the garden with a lead spike in the ground for earth.
No need for a battery but required sensitive headphones.
Pretty cool and effective in 1959 :crazy_face:

Not sure if it can recieve fvwm frequency :thinking: :laughing:

1 Like

I get the “joke”, and I also had a “crystal set”. My first one was in the appearance of a “rocket ship”, which had a “stick” with a rounded upper tip; this was the “tuner”, which slid up and down the wound coil inside to get a rough “station changer”. I lived in a suburban area, so I could receive a surprisingly good variety of stations, including those that played a variety of music and those that carried sports games. I think it had one wire with a “clip” attached, that you could connect to a ground - a pretty decent one was one of the “screws” that held the nearby light switch in place; slightly loosen one of the screws and attach one “clip” to it; take a wire, carefully route it through a window, and run a 50-75 foot wire, elevated, across the yard, which was the “antenna” and a young boy could listen to his own “radio” without battery power. I could put a small earphone in one ear and fall asleep listening to a radio in the earpiece at relatively low volume levels.

A couple of years later my dad and I built a “crystal set” on a board using similar tools and equipment; this time we had clips on the board to attach the ground wires, antenna wires and headphone wires.

The next “kit” was a 21-in-1 kit made by either Heathkit or Radio Shack, both of which had a diode, one or two transisters, a few capacitors, resistors, connecting clips and soldered components on a board with alternating holes and some type of metal connecting material under the board. This also had optional components like volume controls and other components, with which other “experiments” could also be performed. All this was “cool” and fed my interests specifically in radio and also in electronics.

At one time I had an interest in being a radio announcer or disc jockey, but I had a minor speech impediment, nothing serious, except it affected that idea. By the time I got older, computers became more commonplace. By high school there were moderately priced minicomputers that brought computers closer. By the completion of college, microprocessors had emerged and a few manufacturers experimented with them, but it was several years before the masses started purchasing home computers. I was an enthusiatic computer user before their popularity, but I chose to use computers in public or business locations until the mid nineties, when I finally bought my own, and from the very beginning I would run multiple different operating systems from the same hardware, ranging from real time systems to commercial systems, and using software from Microsoft, AT&T, RT vendors, and Linux. Because of this, boot loaders were important to me from the beginning.

1 Like

You sure got “more than you asked for” in response to that one, huh? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Some fishing wire/cord and 2 empty cans of fizzy pop. No-one else was listening! :laughing:

1 Like