Interesting article on Nouveau vs. Nvidia drivers

Micheal Larabel published on Phoronix an interesting article on the state of the Nouveau driver versus Nvidia at the end of 2019.

“Poor but hopeful,” he writes, it is a good read, especially for those who are still struggling with their system shipped with Nvidia graphics.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-nouveau-2019&num=1

2 Likes

Nouveau is only useful for at least 10 years old GPU… With unsupported nvidia drivers like 340xx.

Archlinux dropped it in June 2019.

https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/commit/?h=nvidia-340xx&id=5a001f4f1db6c0e3baf326522fa47b8da1e69c7e

2 Likes

I have to say that the AUR version of the 340xx drivers are maintained and working very well.

2 Likes

I didn’t have the chance to test the version from aur, i used the one from antergos untill it stopped working (possible related with kernel update). I was going to test the AUR one but my old pc fried hahaha.
With the driver i always was able to play dota 2 for example, without it the game freezed and crashed whenever a “team fight” happened.
Meaning, i’m glad some people maintain these “old” packages, people still have the hardware so still need the software.

1 Like

There is someone who takes over this driver. But let’s face it, this is a legacy driver.

Last 340xx fully supported GPU is GeForce 9xx family, released back in 2008. It is hard to find such old GPU card. Nouveau driver are working great with them, so, why keep using this legacy driver?

I have an 18,5 inch Acer Aspire laptop with five built-in speakers that we use for watching Television and Netflix in the bedroom. The sound is excellent and my three year old Thinkpad can’t touch that sound experience.

The Nvidia card in this laptop has awful screen tearing with Nouveau and I’ve tried every single solution. With the 340xx driver it shows superb performance

1 Like

It works for now, but Nvidia will pull the plug for 340xx drivers. I think - and I wonder if I’ll be right - before end of 2020.

probably the xorg get updated too, so yeah on that point wil be using a special repo with older xorg :wink:

1 Like

Or nouveau if it is better. These legacy drivers won’t last forever.

1 Like

on my old machine of 2008, gt8600 , nouveau works, only minor issue was with webkit’s , could not ride opensource browsers like midori or falcon. not that i use them but was a moment try to convert to that but here and then they crashed out… something with nouveau… :slight_smile: