Intel AC 7265 Bluetooth drivers [SOLVED]

After having no luck with USB Bluetooth dongles, I decided to revisit my onboard PCIe WiFi/Bt module. Output of lspci:

04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7265 (rev 59)
and the kernel module used is listed as Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi. But what I’m not sure if is right is that the Bluetooth of the same card shows up as a USB device.
lsusb | grep Bluetooth:
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 8087:0a2a Intel Corp. Bluetooth wireless interface.
This is after disconnecting all USB Bluetooth dongles so it is referring to the PCIe card.
Additionally, the module loaded for this is btusb and trying to disable it completely disables Bluetooth functionality. Using the btusb module has unusable connections quality with the only device somewhat functional is a Bluetooth keyboard (probably due to its low bandwidth). Is it normal for a PCIe wireless card to have Bluetooth loaded by btusb? I would like to verify whether this is a hardware or software issue so I can consider upgrading my hardware if necessary. And if the loaded module is incorrect, any guidance to loading the proper one is appreciated. Also if it is worth noting, Bluetooth coexistence is enabled.

Some internal devices (bluetooth, webcams etc) are often displayed as USB devices and for that reason USB driver is used.
Output from my netbook :

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04fc:2802 Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd HD Camera
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0911:2188 Philips Speech Processing USB Keyboard
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 04f3:0c16 Elan Microelectronics Corp. ELAN:Fingerprint
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 8087:0a2a Intel Corp. Bluetooth wireless interface
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Device 004: ID 8087:0a2a Intel Corp. Bluetooth wireless interface is the bluetooth part of the combined bluetooh/wifi chip on that netbook.
Device 003: ID 04fc:2802 Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd HD Camera is the internal netbook webcam.
Device 008: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode) is an external bluetooth stick, which I use due to incompatibility of the internal chip with my bluetooth headset.

inxi -E
Bluetooth: Device-1: Intel Bluetooth wireless interface type: USB driver: N/A
           Device-2: Cambridge Silicon Radio Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode) type: USB driver: btusb

As you can see the USB driver has been used by internal chip AND the external stick. I blacklisted the internal chip (the device, not the module for obvious reasons) to use only the stick. So the btusb driver is N/A (not available) for the Intel chip.

The wifi part of the combined chip is shown as pci and because it has a different vendor and device ID not blacklisted and still active.

Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wireless 3165 [8086:3165] (rev 91)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device [8086:8010]
	Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
	Kernel modules: iwlwifi

To blacklist the internal device I added a rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/. The file is called 90-bluetooth.rules

# Intel Bluetooth should be disabled
 SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="8087", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0a2a", ATTR{authorized}="0"

After a reboot the internal chip was deactivated and the stick can be used.

Thanks for the response! I see, so the iwlwifi module is separate and only applies to WiFi and not Bluetooth. That narrows it down to a hardware issue for my onboard chip (makes sense, it’s an old Bluetooth 4.0 card) instead of a driver issue. I have not had luck with USB dongles either so I’ll just upgrade my PCIe wireless card for better Bluetooth and WiFi in the future.

This is interesting. I have found Intel wifi cards to be the gold standard in terms of plug and play functionality with linux. You are most likely dealing with a hardware issue as I have a near flawless bluetooth experience with the AC 7265 + BT 4.2 in my laptop and the AX200 + BT 5.0 in my desktop. I actually used the spare AC 7265 to replace the awful realtek wireless N + BT 4.0 1x1 adapter my laptop came with that required drivers from the AUR to work properly.

Yeah, this chip used to work well for Bluetooth audio but in the last 6 months or so gave me serious issues (maybe due to me messing with the internal components to upgrade parts). I know Intel chips are well supported with Linux drivers so I’m going to upgrade to the AX210 chip to hopefully not deal with these issues again in the near future.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.