Installing OS

That’s what I’ve heard. . . although I still use it everyday and haven’t had the slightest issue with it yet.

I would install bismuth if I were starting over - and I may still go through on this one eventually. I like thier indicator on the taskbar.

Yes you can open a terminal and launch apps from it if that’s what you are asking.

Shortcuts ?

You need to select keyboard > shortcuts under system settings, you can customize keys or create custom shortcuts for apps you would use, just need to know the terminal command to open. Details depend on the DE you select.

What concerns wm you need to change the config file to your liking and add the apps and key combinations you want. There are tons of tutorials on YouTube or read the documentation, like in i3, these are pretty well explained if you want to put in the time and learn these.

https://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#exec

Some of them are already implemented in eos, for example Firefox, thunar and rofi. I think there is a shortcut map if you press F1 or fn+F1

1 Like

Opening a terminal via ctrl alt t. That’s pretty standard on on linux distributions. Yes i can hit the super key and launch any shortcut that is setup. You have to set them up other than what is already default. I use KDE so it has some defaults already. I’m not a big user of these features. Each desktop has their own predefined and you can set up what you want.

1 Like

Sorry for asking questions like stupid as I said before my English is not perfect so I didn’t want to say anything bad about End Os I am just noob at these things don’t wanted to get misunderstood Ty for your answer.

No problem, I suggest you try solving one problem at a time. Perhaps select your preferred DE, like gnome and set it up to your liking to feel cozy. Then learn how to update and maintain your system on eos/arch via pacman or yay. Then you could install i3wm and make another thread/post with specific questions about that. Good luck! :+1:

You could also do an online install of xfce and i3 both together from the installer. Then you can switch between the two. I would only do that if you are sure you want to use an wm otherwise select a desktop of your choice. As @Zircon34 say’s Gnome or any other desktop that appeals to you.

Edit: Just a word of caution. Installing xfce and i3 together from the online installer works well. I wouldn’t recommend installing any other desktops together. They would be better installed separately to their own partitions. It’s far less problematic.

1 Like

Eos has an excellent implementation of i3wm if you want something already setup to learn keybindings etc. But I always install along with xfce as fallback when I want floating windows and mouse clicking.

That so true . it really good if it 1st wm ( still good if no 1st )

1 Like

Are you talking about community editions ? How should I install like you say ? Should I just tick xfce and i3 together ?

If you keep XFCE - the terminal has a ‘drop-down’ mode… if you set a hot key for that (I use CTRL-`) then access is rewally quick and easy… if you set aliases for your preferred apps it’s a quick way to get 'em going.

Also - there is a dock called Plank that shows a set of apps along an edge (left,right,top,bottom as you choose) that you can one-click startup. Pretty configurable - although not near as much as KDE!

@yakrel

if new to linux . best walk before try run . maybe try one DE 1st+ after you happy or no happy community can help you change the DE ( the right way ) you learn more that way .

I would recommend using @Shjim advice.

The official online versions has several DE choice, only xfce and i3wm are themed. You could choose both but in the past you had to disable dex in i3wm to avoid conflicts. Generally, it is better to start with one DE to avoid such conflicts. Then you can always install i3wm eos themed afterwards. Although some people run into trouble installing afterwards for whatever reason, I generally install both using the online installer. You can then choose at login if you want to run i3 or xfce.

The community editions include several other wm like bspwm, openbox, qtiled, worm? and maybe others joining the party.

What WM or DE you using right now sir ?

Sir? Thanks, but… :grin:

Actually, I run several builds Arch EnOS MX etc - and most of them are on XFCE (some with the addition of Compiz). This is because it mostly gets out of my way and just works (and is reasonably themable). I also like Thunar and its easy addition of extra commands (I add in things like ‘Edit as root’ and ‘change .png to .jpg’ ‘Check checksum’ and so on). A bonus is how easy it is to change spacing of things in icon view, and run with multi-tabs or multi-windows. Xfce works well with Plank as well…