Installing multiple Desktop Environments?

:thinking:
I hope reading the “full” post clarifies the “full” point of view.
Examples:
Gnome “looks” a bit more “modern”
XFCE is a bit lighter.
But overall KDE Plasma is better (as I said in the post).

You expressed my point of view much better than I could.
Thank you.

1 Like

I’m just messing with you. :wink:

Thanks. I only wrote my opinion and my experience.

1 Like

It is OK. No problem at all.
I replied to you, this means it is OK.

1 Like

You can make Plasma use Wayland instead of Xorg, and KDE has been putting all of their efforts into Wayland over Xorg, to the point their bug tracker is full of Xorg problems. I believe there’s even a guide on this forum somewhere on how to do it, but also some things you may have to alter in some files manually. But I have a memory like a cheese grater, and can’t tell you how it’s done, sorry :frowning_with_open_mouth:!

In my Case I have been using EOS, and Plasma from the the day EOS was first released, and KDE on Antergos before that, and I stick with Firefox and a few other essential apps too for the following reasons:

By sticking to one desktop you have less :beetle: to deal with in total, because you swap old bugs for new and different bugs with every different DE, but if you stick with one, as you iron them out and get familiar with the modules, procedures, and config files, the widgets, even the bug trackers and forums, and custom everything to your liking, you improve your workflow for knowing where everything is and lower your time tinkering. :slightly_smiling_face: Since I use my computer for business and I need it up and running 7 days a week from when I wake up until I go to bed. I have a second computer now (my old one, just built this one) I can just switch to it in less than 15 minutes and be up and running because it also contains a backup of this computer. :grinning: I then can run that one while tinkering on this one, and once fixed do another swap.

Even better: When I reinstall the OS, I have my /home/user folder on a separate partition, and reuse it, as well as use a script to reinstall many apps (not from the AUR) and after reinstalling all of my settings for the DE, and most apps are retained, reinstalling the apps is easier and faster, and I don’t have to go through the pain and time of changing a million settings for the DE, and so many apps. I can have the OS and all my apps installed and be up and running in an afternoon. :joy: It used to take me a week to do it on Windows :angry:, and there was no way to retain settings, including with that POS thing that was supposed to save them (Windows and apps) for me that never worked and besides never saving a single app setting, it couldn’t save but a few Windows settings, so never worked right anyhow. :rage: Oh, and if a piece of hardware changed I ran the risk of it seeing it as a different device and then have to fight with :japanese_goblin:Micro$oft :japanese_ogre: and others over licensing issues, and on that note having to waste a good 3 hours of the reinstall ticking boxes to opt out of shady license agreements, agree to be spied on and tracked, and to disallow apps sneaking in other apps… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: F THAT :poop:!

And because different DE’s use and write to many system files common to all distro’s, or to all Arch, Debian… base distro’s, you introduce all kinds of problems, so many people reinstall the whole OS and don’t retain their home folder to not have other DE’s settings still there and causing trouble, and have to change a ton of settings, and what not. :upside_down_face: you may find that the familiarity helps immensely when you know where to look for stuff.

BTW: jfabernathy: :thinking:I noticed something very important that you may have misunderstood that is a security risk :rotating_light::

When pebcak wrote: “-z, --filter Adds security filters for IP/MAC addresses, serial numbers, location (-w), user home directory name, host name”, you said it doesn’t matter for that machine, but some of those are the way not only into your computer, but everything on it, and other devices attached to it and your network too, and therefore anything else they can use to do damage, extort you and ask for ransom… :scream:!

It doesn’t matter until it happens, but that’s too late! :sob:, and typing an extra -z is well worth the effort! :smiley:

I too remember the days of DOS, actually I got started on a Synclair z81! DOS was lightning :zap: fast in comparison, and it didn’t take an afternoon to save a photo to a cassette tape, because I could use 4 floppies instead :exploding_head:! I still have my Macintosh Lisa which I cleaned and ran once a year, but about 3 years ago when I turned it on it couldn’t load the OS anymore. :cry: