Installing multiple Desktop Environments?

So if I do a KDE only EOS install and have the 4K display set for 200% scaling. How do I get the sddm login window to scale. It’s so small during login. There is a way, I just can’t get it to work with all the tricks I’ve tried

I’ve tried that in the past with no success. Today however, it worked.

Thanks

1 Like

I can see why you say not to include anything but KDE. With my combined install I had all kinds of weird things happening with Google Chrome setup on KDE that should have had nothing to do with i3, but when I did a KDE only fresh install I had none of these problem.

1 Like

Banish ye to the depths of hell!

But, seriously, no one here cares about suggesting other distros as long as you’re not like posting up full threads evangelizing and begging people to go somewhere else, you won’t be banned for it. MANY of us regularly use distros that aren’t EOS (or even Arch based). Just have fun, keep having fun and if you enjoy EOS, then that’s great!

Except Windows. Don’t bring that in here.

1 Like

What is this Windows you speak of? Is it that thing people used after DOS? I liked DOS when it was an IBM 360 OS after TOS and before OS/MVT :smiley:

This morning I hit another problem with KDE Plasma. The problem that made me start Desktop Environment hopping. On a fresh EOS-KDE install Youtube streaming video is fine at 1080P. However, when I try my TV DVR application, MythTV the video will randomly freeze like I had paused it but the audio will keep playing. I know this is a Open Source application on the AUR, but it does not have this problem on EOS Cinnamon or Gnome. Cinnamon is X11 and Gnome is Wayland.

To further test I tried running KDE with Wayland since this is Intel GFX. Everything works until I try to run MythTV and that screen comes up 1/4 the size in the bottom left corner of the display. I’m looking at how to fix that in the application because the Display settings in KDE for scaling with applications didn’t work for this application.

But Gnome is Wayland and it scaled the application just like it did the Desktop.

Any advice would be great. I’d like to keep this PC on EOS KDE, but I guess my second choice of EOS Cinnamon wouldn’t be too bad.

Try Budgie, MATE or LXQt. I find these DEs work work

I won’t pretend I am that experienced but… this is honestly what I learned from the experts here plus a bit of logic.

This is great news. I am glad it worked.
So, hopefully everything working fine now?

I guess this might be a problem with the app itself… configuration/setup… sorry, I hardly know anything about multimedia apps other than just media players!

Off topic… but why not! Don’t we need some fun about/from “clowns”

I’m taking my first steps in EOS Plasma. Now I see why cca. 48% of the users use KDE. Installed pulsaudio so that to use TV loudspeakers by HDMI. (I feel a similar like a IKEA buyer after assembling a new furniture: deeper emotional ties to the newly installed system. (Arco Plasma sound setting is ready-to-use by default in this respect)
OFF I also feel like a duckling of Konrad Lorenz. (Imprinting): “Lorenz
found that a young duckling or gosling learns to follow the first conspicuous, moving
object it sees within the first few days after hatching” FFO
Compiled from AUR mythtv but config has not been done. Can I connect a set top box by HDMI? Or it’s not so simple?

When I install EOS Plasma I use whatever audio it installs and I use HDMI from my PC to my TV and HDMI from my TV ARC HDMI port to my A/V receiver. Works great.

You can install Mythtv v32 using the AUR but be careful to include a lot of the Optional dependencies. I created a guide for Mythtv on EOS for Raspberry PI 4 and it may be of use to you. Just leave out the RPI4 specific stuff. Mythtv on EOS/RPI4

As far as I know HDMI isn’t supported as an input to Mythtv. You might want to use the MythTV forum for help on all the tuners you can use.

I think you should use the desktop environment that works best for you. For example, I used Xfce for a very long time because it is low-cost, not as polished as KDE, and you can configure more things in it than in Gnome.

Thank you, Jim.

It really comes down to using the desktop that works for my use case. For my application:
Gnome works
XFCE4 fails due to really bad FPS jitter
KDE playback freezes but not audio
Cinnamon works.

So for me I’ll use Cinnamon since I’m not a fan of Gnome.

Well… it is up to you of course.
If it is me… I’ll keep after the app till I get it to work under KDE.
(my personal taste… KDE Plasma is the best of all. I think most here use it)
All you have to do is just check config./settings… for the app to work.

Recently, after spending a lot of time on Xfce and Cinnamon desktop environment, I returned to KDE, but before that I made a small detour to Gnome 43. Plasma has become very clean and usable in my opinion. Even KDE Wallet no longer interferes with the password stores of different browsers, which was typical until now.

1 Like

Well, other DEs have their pros, many pros over KDE Plasma actually.
But as whole DE considering sums of all pros and cons of all DE I believe KDE Plasma scores the highest. (again, no offence, just my personal judgement and actual number of users)

[quote=“limotux, post:38, topic:34865”]
Well, other DEs have their pros, many pros over KDE Plasma actually.
[/quote

:lying_face:

2 Likes

You are probably right in that KDE is now an entire ecosystem, while Gnome, for example, or the others are “only” desktop environments. Although according to my memories, Gnome wants to be a bit more.