Installing Arch made me appreciate EndeavourOS more

Yes. Often though, it is detrimental to get stuck in a comfort zone and continue to do things in a less efficient way. If I were to partition drives more frequently, it would make sense for me to invest the effort to discover which is the most efficient way to do it and learn to do it (and that would probably end up being in the terminal, as it is almost always the case).

But due to the fact I do it so rarely, my investment would not pay off in decades, and I’m not very motivated to get out of my comfort zone.

4 Likes

First of all, I am just messing with you… :wink:

Feel free to partition your drives however you like.

Let me fast forward your learning curve a bit:

parted /dev/sda -- mklabel gpt
parted /dev/sda -- mkpart primary 512MiB -8GiB
parted /dev/sda -- mkpart primary linux-swap -8GiB 100%
parted /dev/sda -- mkpart ESP fat32 1MiB 512MiB
parted /dev/sda -- set 3 boot on

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
mkfs.fat -F 32 -n boot /dev/sda3
mkdir /mnt/boot
mkswap -L swap /dev/sda2
mount /dev/disk/by-label/boot /mnt/boot
swapon /dev/sda2
7 Likes

7 Likes

Well, Arch is indeed more targeted at advanced users.

and you can surely be! You experienced the exalting feeling of mastering your first Arch install! :joy:
You’ve now officially been pimped :rofl:

3 Likes

In with you on Gparted @Kresimir I’ve done it via terminal maybe 4-5x. And there’s so long between each go it’s like I’m doing it the first time every time. I can use Gparted in like 30 seconds.

1 Like

I agree with you, I use archfi now getting lazy i guess lol. EndeavourOS Xfce on everything else. :+1:t3:

1 Like

That’s the thing - some ppl think this based on distros are only for those who cant install Arch. I’ve to use Arch for almost 8 years now and have installed it so many times I’ve lost count - and sometimes I don’t just feel like it - then there’s nice to have an installer that does the job for you. I know what my system should have after an install - and something’s in Endeavous gets removed - but all in all, I say Endeavour together with Archbang are the two distros that are closest to vanilla Arch. So even us “experienced” Archers fancy an installer from time to time. Atm I don’t have any EndeavourOS on my laptops as they all run Arch atm. But I had eOS for a short time - and I used to update it with my Arch install and there was no difference between them. EOS has it’s a theme where Arch comes vanilla - but besides that and some preinstalled pkg’s in EOS I’d say they are pretty much the same if your Arch install would look anything like this is in the end - I æd recommend using EndeavourOS instead. For someone like me who uses a tiling window manager, I prefer the minimalism of Arch - so I can just install the 4-5 pkg’s I want. But I do recommend EOS to users on Reddit and ubuntu users and goods that want to try Arch - I tell them to give EOS a try first.

Conclusion EndeavourOS is also for experienced Arch users that just want an installer from time to time - as you don’t learn much installing Arch manually - it’s like 5-6 commands and you’re done. You do learn how to set up your environment tho - but nothing special about how Linux works.

So IMHO EndeavourOS is for two user groups - noobs that want to try the Arch experience and Archers that are tired of installing it manually for the 67 times.

8 Likes

More like x1 times :rofl:

4 Likes

WellI 've installed it more that 100 times for frineds family and students

Fun part tho - I nistall Arch and et up Bspmw the way I want it in 12-15 minutes - so I don’t even save time using an installer. But using an installer is more relaxed - you can do it while eating breakfast etc. Manual install -you need to focus. So yeah I’m for installers even though I prefer manual install most of the time. Different ppl different needs

6 Likes

Doing a few vanilla Arch installs before coming to EOS, saved my ass today :slight_smile:

messed something up with my video-drivers, and system locked up when it wanted to load the login screen… Tried getting into tty, but didn’t work either…

Before Arch, my first instinct would have been to do a clean re-install and solve it that way, but now I realized I could just chroot into my install using a liveusb… fixed my system in minutes :sweat_smile:

If I hadn’t done an install the arch-way, I probably wouldn’t have known about chroot’ing

6 Likes