Installer cannot detect EFI partition in systemd-boot mode

Hi everyone. I’m currently attempting to install EndeavourOS as a dual boot with Windows. I’ve already installed Windows, leaving a space for the Endeavour partition, and Windows has installed its EFI partition. Running EndeavourOS from a live USB I can see this EFI partition as /dev/nvmxxxx and mount it to /boot/efi.

When I run the installer though, I select systemd-boot as the bootloader and get shown a list of partitions to install the OS to. In the EFI partition dropdown, the only device available to install the partition to is the USB stick. If I select GRUB as the bootloader, the EFI partition appears in the dropdown at /dev/nvmxxxx.

Am I missing a step with the systemd-boot setup? Or am I stuck with GRUB for now?

1 Like

When choosing systemd-boot, the ESP needs to be mounted at /efi and flagged as boot.

Also, using systemd-boot, the ESP is where the kernel images will be stored.

Since Windows ESP is too small for this, you will need to create a new ESP of the size 1GB, FAT32, flagged as boot and mounted at /efi.

3 Likes

Brilliant, thanks. I’m comfortable moving and resizing partitions, but do you know if Windows 11 will mind me messing with its ESP to that extent? I’ll stick to GRUB if not.

More conveniently, you could create a new ESP as mentioned above.

No need to resize and move around partitions.

This would have the beneficial side-effect of Windows leaving alone your Linux ESP and won’t be writing into it.

1 Like

I did think of that first time, and leave it up to the UEFI boot menu to pick which OS to boot to, but I read in a few places online that having multiple ESPs is frowned upon?

It works quite fine.

This would be how the automatic installation of EnOS would handle this as well when you choose systemd-boot and the already existent ESP on the drive is too small.

Also, you don’t need to use the UEFI boot menu to choose which system to boot.

A boot entry for Windows will be created and you will have an entry for that on systemd-boot menu.
This happens automatically when the two systems are on the same disk as in your case. If they are on different disks, some extra step will be needed.

I have personally created quadruple-boot system, each systems with its own ESP. No issues.

This is what the installer itself does if you don’t use manual partitioning.

I think this is where most users are getting into trouble.

1 Like

What you linked is tangential to what we are discussing here.

Lets try to keep this on-topic to the person requesting help and not get sidetracked.

2 Likes

OK, I’m all installed correctly. Systemd-boot, selected New for the ESP and replaced the existing blank space with EOS. Systemd-boot recognises and boots my Windows installation too.

I’ve marked @pebcak 's initial answer as the correct answer to the question that I asked, even though it wasn’t the thing I ended up needing to do. Thanks all!

3 Likes

You mean @pebcak :wink:

1 Like

Glad you got your system installed!

Enjoy your EnOS and welcome to the community @ricklinux … err … I mean @MorayM :wink: :smile:

:enos: :handshake:t5:

1 Like

Thanks! Despite years of admin-ing RHEL and CentOS servers I’ve never had a proper Linux daily driver. I figured EnOS + i3 would be a suitably deep end to jump in at - wish me luck…

3 Likes

Nice choice!
There are many i3 users around in the forum. Don’t hesitate to ask any questions if you doubt about something or encounter any issues.

Good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.