Installed zsh to try out.. but it is not configured .. hence felt worst than bash shell

It doesn’t slow down my terminal. You are only loading the plugins you want. The rest of them are just sitting on your HDD doing no harm. Perhaps you agree with Brodie Robertson, but for my money ‘oh-my-zsh’ is really quite nice. “Horses for Courses”, naturally.

Yes I watched that video. Linking here

omz is just a collection of .zshrc. If you want a certain plugin, then you can browse their git repository, and download the .zshrc for the specific plugin you want. Gets the work done without bloating anything.

I don’t know if omz makes your terminal slow. But manually downloading .zshrc is lot better than using omz, because you learn new things and you also take a look at what’s actually inside the plugin. Maybe, its just a bunch of aliases you’ll probably never remember using at the right time. (you can look at the plugin code while using omz also, but I don’t think there is any incentive for the user to ever to that.)

I’ll suggest watching this video and trying to add a few plugins by yourself without using omz.

2 Likes

Yes. I really hate this. Whenever I browse an interesting subject on this forum somebody shows me how to do things better. I was quite happy with ‘oh-my-zsh’ but I felt I really should try zsh without ‘oh-my-zsh’. I watch BR regularly and noted his video (see my comment above) about not using ‘oh-my’zsh’. So I uninstalled the guilty app and set up my own version of zsh by cloning two or three plugins (syntax-highlighting, auto-suggestions and archlinux) and just sourcing them in my .zshrc file (ten minutes?)

Of course it worked perfectly and I have a zsh that’s just as good as before and now I feel stupid.

1 Like

It does. Well, it doesn’t slow it down while you’re using the terminal, but oh-my-zsh is a huge script that runs every time you launch the terminal and, unless you have a really powerful PC, you can notice the difference, every time you launch your TE. And as someone who opens the terminal maybe 50-100 times a day, that can get annoying,

1 Like

I have a really low spec PC, and I do remember that launching terminals used to take time during my omz days

2 Likes