Installation without boot ISO?

I have the installation working by booting the Artemis ISO and using the ARM installation option. What I’m wondering is if I have a x86_64 system running EOS Artemis, can I just run the ARM installation script without booting the ISO?

Here are the instructions:

2 Likes

You’re too fast
:running_man:t4:

1 Like

Always on my post between :chair: and :keyboard: :wink: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes he is… :racehorse:

1 Like

@Pudge should we have this instruction in the website, like image burning script for advanced users?

2 Likes

Thanks, this will save me time.

BTW, I saw a Youtuber testing the new Install and complained about not having pre-make images that could be flashed directly to a SD Card using Imager or etcher.

My thoughts on it:

Me too, I saw that video.
However, he has one of the better channels on ARM (-related) devices and systems on YT.

That’s just whining! :laughing:

Edit: I actually like this method. Sure it’s a two step process but I’m okay with that.

1 Like

learn more manual way … help you understand if thing go wrong

1 Like

@pebcak 's link is correct.

One additional point. If you open
image-install-calamares.sh
in a text editor, then comment out line 313
# rm enosLinuxARM*
It will leave the image on your x86_64 install machine. Then it is up to you when you want to remove it manually.

Then before you run the script again, comment out line 106 for RPi 4 or line 42 for Odroid N2
# wget $totalurl
so the script doesn’t try to download the image again. Saves time and bandwidth.

If a new image comes out, uncomment line 106 or line 42 to download the latest image.

Pudge

EDIT:
If it has been a while since the last install, one might want to make sure the
install-image-calamares.sh
script hasn’t been updated by checking the link @pebcak listed above.

EDIT 2:
The above link says to use the /tmp folder for the git clone. Theoretically /tmp gets cleaned out regularly. So one might
$ su (enter root password)
# cd /root
then do the git clone and run as user root from there. That should be both out of sight, and static.

2 Likes

I think i need a manual. :rofl:

RPi imager uses dd on the back end of I’m not mistaken. So if we want to offer ext4 and btrfs, we need two images for each device.

Also I haven’t figured out to create an image from my 64 GB uSD card using dd so that the uncompressed image is less than 8 GB