Installation gets stuck

Hello,

I have been struggling for days to install Endeavour OS online with KDE. The installation gets stuck at 14% and the packman log stuck at “synchronising package lists” . There are no error messages or whatsoever.

Offline installing works flawlessly, but I hate XFCE and prefer KDE.

I thought that this issue is related to mirror ranking, so I chose update mirror in the welcome screen of the live media, and it failed to rank mirrors showing 00 kbps next to each mirror. I chose near countries but that also did not work.

I searched the forum and found a similar issue (slow mirror ranking) and followed the instructions carefully. I managed to rank mirrors using rank-mirrors arch tool mentioned in the post but that did not solve my issue.20210913_064000

1 Like

I have been struggling for days to install Endeavour OS online with KDE. The installation gets stuck at 14% and the packman log stuck at “synchronising package lists” . There are no error messages or whatsoever.
Offline installing works flawlessly, but… prefer KDE.

Have you considered doing the offline install, removing XFCE, and installing KDE in place of that?

I understand that you would want a clean install with KDE, but considering the circumstances, I think this wiki entry would be worth a try. The link above is a forum post shows you exactly how to remove XFCE and start fresh. After uninstalling, I would refer to this wiki post under the KDE Plasma section. That way, you can effectively have the same thing you would with the online installer.

2 Likes

Just to piggy back off what @Nocturn_Adrift mentioned, here is a great little EndeavourOS wiki on how to remove and install a different DE of your choice, hope this helps:

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/general-system-settings/how-to-install-desktop-environments-next-to-your-existing-ones/2021/03/

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :smile:

How long did you wait for the install to proceed?
You might want to enable the other log window in the beginning of the install.

3 Likes

Hi @iawake,

Could you show the output of

sudo pacman -Syy

?

1 Like

Hello! Thank you very much and I do apologise for my belated reply.
It seems that the issue was related to my internet connection (WIFI). I connected using a cable and the installation completed in less than 15 mins.

Regarding the WIKI articles (adding new DEs and removing DEs), I prefer clean installation, but that was worth looking into for future reference, so than you.

Now I am enjoying my new installation and everything is working just fine except for ranking mirrors. I still receive the error message “failed to rank”

Screenshot_20210914_120436

Screenshot_20210914_121105

1 Like

After I posted here in the forum, I waited for over two hours and the install advanced to 39%, so I knew the download was slow but not stuck. I connected to LAN later that night and the installation completed successfully.

2 Likes

Screenshot_20210914_121359

I am connected to WIFI now and the download speeds are very very slow, but at least it is working.

1 Like

I have been trying to Install Endeavour OS KDE for days and when I lost hope, I went for the offline installation. God I hated XFCE and when I installed 1Password, any changes that I made in password could not be synced to my other devices running 1Password, for it was not able to save the 2FA token. This does not happen in the KDE version of Endeavour OS for 1Password triggers KDE wallet and the 2FA token is saved. I will create a support ticket with 1Password to see what they have to say about it.

The wiki article is great in case I want to try DEs in the future, but I am realling enjoying KDE.

1 Like

There may be some reasons for the slow operation:

• mirror lists may not be optimal for your location (please try reflector-simple)
  • network drivers or their settings may not be optimal

For the drivers, please show the output of terminal commands

lspci -vnn | sed -n '/Ethernet controller/,/^$/p'
lspci -vnn | sed -n '/Network controller/,/^$/p'
1 Like

Thank you very much for your reply.

Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 15)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:1085]
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 128
        I/O ports at 3000 [size=256]
        Memory at b1104000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Memory at b1100000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: r8168
        Kernel modules: r8169, r8168

Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168NGW [Stone Peak] [8086:24fb] (rev 10)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2110]
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 129
Memory at b1000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
Capabilities:
Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
Kernel modules: iwlwifi

Could you please elaborate more about Reflector simple?

Could you try this command:

sudo pacman -R r8168

Then reboot and see if the wifi experience improves?

3 Likes

What would you like to know?
It is a program to rank Arch mirrors. It is a wrapper around reflector.
It helps you to easily select mirror countries and other reflector options.

You can look more information with the eos-apps-info program (install it with
sudo pacman -Syu eos-apps-info).

Thank you very much for the reply. Could you please specify what the command exactly does? I write notes about commands for future reference since I am new to Linux world. How to roll back if the command does not work? Thank you again.

1 Like

It is a network driver that comes by default with our installs to provide a better experience for users with a certain wifi card, your card doesn’t need the driver.
Lately, this confuses the system on which driver it should use, causing a laggy system.
We are working on an improved way of addressing this in future releases.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.