Installation Failed: Package Manger Error - Error Code 1

I had to install windows for something specifc, so I currently attempting to dual boot. I will try to post all potentially useful information:

Logs:
Pacman log: https://pastebin.com/wu7RtTw4

Install log: https://pastebin.com/qVVRkSeR

Error Message text:

..  - message: "Package Manager error" 
    ..  - details: The package manager could not make changes to the installed system. The command <pre>pacman -S --needed --noconfirm base-devel linux-headers linux-firmware python lsb-release mkinitcpio-openswap xorg-server xorg-xinit xorg-xkill xorg-xrandr xorg-xinput xf86-input-libinput xf86-video-vesa xf86-video-fbdev libwnck3 xf86-video-amdgpu xf86-video-ati xf86-video-intel b43-fwcutter broadcom-wl-dkms r8168 dnsutils ipw2100-fw ipw2200-fw modemmanager netctl net-tools ntfs-3g networkmanager networkmanager-openvpn nss-mdns usb_modeswitch whois dhclient ethtool openconnect openvpn rp-pppoe wireless-regdb wireless_tools wpa_supplicant wvdial gnu-netcat iwd linux-atm ndisc6 ppp pptpclient vpnc xl2tpd dialog dnsmasq reflector yay pacman-contrib downgrade rebuild-detector xdg-utils xdg-user-dirs accountsservice mlocate bash-completion ffmpegthumbnailer poppler-glib libgsf libopenraw freetype2 gst-libav gst-plugins-bad gst-plugins-ugly gst-plugin-pipewire libdvdcss smartmontools solid haveged ttf-dejavu ttf-liberation ttf-bitstream-vera cantarell-fonts noto-fonts adobe-source-han-sans-jp-fonts adobe-source-han-sans-kr-fonts adobe-source-han-sans-cn-fonts opendesktop-fonts ttf-opensans alsa-utils alsa-plugins alsa-firmware pulseaudio pavucontrol paprefs sof-firmware efibootmgr dosfstools mtools intel-ucode amd-ucode tlp upower yad-eos endeavouros-theming reflector-simple welcome eos-update-notifier eos-hooks eos-rankmirrors eos-log-tool keyserver-rank grub-tools neofetch glances python-defusedxml hwinfo wget s-tui inxi tldr firefox sway swayidle swaylock swaybg waybar lxappearance polkit-gnome thunar thunar-archive-plugin file-roller thunar-volman grim slurp otf-font-awesome pulseaudio paprefs pavucontrol gtk-engine-murrine mako wofi lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings acpi network-manager-applet sysstat archlinux-xdg-menu htop xfce4-terminal gtk-layer-shell ttf-nerd-fonts-symbols xdg-desktop-portal-wlr brightnessctl ttf-jetbrains-mono ttf-ubuntu-font-family xed dex celluloid xorg-xhost diffuse imv boost-libs oniguruma jq wl-clipboard wayland-protocols xorg-xwayland egl-wayland bspwm sxhkd polybar i3lock network-manager-applet arandr archlinux-xdg-menu lxappearance-gtk3 ttf-nerd-fonts-symbols polkit-gnome xdg-user-dirs-gtk thunar thunar-archive-plugin thunar-volman thunar-media-tags-plugin file-roller tumbler gvfs gvfs-mtp gvfs-afc gvfs-gphoto2 gvfs-nfs gvfs-smb xfce4-terminal xclip lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings acpi sysstat nitrogen rofi xcursor-neutral xbindkeys pulseaudio paprefs pavucontrol scrot xorg-xdpyinfo dex picom xed jq feh dunst gtk-engine-murrine xorg-xbacklight meld xorg-xsetroot htop</pre> returned error code 1.
23:05:10 [6]: void Calamares::ViewManager::onInstallationFailed(const QString&, const QString&)
    Calamares will quit when the dialog closes. 

lsblk -l:

sda      8:0    0 465.8G  0 disk 
sda1     8:1    0   100M  0 part /tmp/calamares-root-cql2257w/boot/efi
sda2     8:2    0    16M  0 part 
sda3     8:3    0   224G  0 part 
sda4     8:4    0   508M  0 part 
sda5     8:5    0 241.2G  0 part /tmp/calamares-root-cql2257w

sda1-sda4 are all the partitions windows creates. I have 240gb of leftover space not being used which is what I am attempting to install on. I had set it as an ext4 partition prior to attempting the install, but after the install failed the first time, I tried again with it deleted, but had the same results.

I am attempting to install the sway and bspwm packages, if that is relevant.

Might be this the culprit:

\nlooking for conflicting packages...\nerror: unresolvable package conflicts detected\nerror: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)\n:: lxappearance-gtk3 and lxappearance are in conflict"

Perhaps @joekamprad could have a look.

1 Like

Should I try the install, but uncheck lxappearance-gtk3 in whichever packages list it appears?

pacman -Ss lxappearance-gtk3  
community/lxappearance-gtk3 0.6.3-4 (lxde-gtk3)
    Feature-rich GTK+ theme switcher of the LXDE Desktop (GTK+ 3 version)

The package seems to be part of the lxde-gtk3 group.
I’m not familiar with Lxde and haven’t looked in Calamares what packages can be unchecked at the time of the installation.

You might want to have a look for yourself and see if you could go through the installation without this package.

I would uncheck lxappearance as it is the base package. Does that make sense?

Edit: Doesn’t lxappearnce-gtk3 include lxappearance?

Yes, I think so.
I was about to edit my post and suggest it as an alternative.

The two of them have the same function apparently but only one can be installed.

No. They are in conflict. So it’s either or.

The difference being that lxappearance is based on gtk2.

1 Like

No that’s what i meant. It’s trying to install both and it can’t so it’s saying they are in conflict. I said lxappearance is part of the group package lxappearance-gtk3 so don’t install lxappearance.

Yes.

lxappearance is part of the lxde group.
lxappearance-gtk3 is part of the lxde-gtk3 group.
At any rate, only one can be installed.

$ pacman -Si lxappearance
Repository      : community
Name            : lxappearance
Version         : 0.6.3-4
Description     : Feature-rich GTK+ theme switcher of the LXDE Desktop
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXAppearance
Licenses        : GPL2
Groups          : lxde
Provides        : None
Depends On      : gtk2
Optional Deps   : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Download Size   : 90.30 KiB
Installed Size  : 395.29 KiB
Packager        : Frederik Schwan <freswa@archlinux.org>
Build Date      : Tue 06 Oct 2020 04:57:34 PM CEST
Validated By    : MD5 Sum  SHA-256 Sum  Signature
$ pacman -Si lxappearance-gtk3
Repository      : community
Name            : lxappearance-gtk3
Version         : 0.6.3-4
Description     : Feature-rich GTK+ theme switcher of the LXDE Desktop (GTK+ 3 version)
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXAppearance
Licenses        : GPL2
Groups          : lxde-gtk3
Provides        : None
Depends On      : gtk3
Optional Deps   : None
Conflicts With  : lxappearance
Replaces        : None
Download Size   : 90.24 KiB
Installed Size  : 395.29 KiB
Packager        : Frederik Schwan <freswa@archlinux.org>
Build Date      : Tue 06 Oct 2020 04:57:34 PM CEST
Validated By    : MD5 Sum  SHA-256 Sum  S

Yeah the issue turned out to be that you can’t install the bspwm and sway spin at the same time because of this one dependancy. I didn’t expect this to be the case because you can do this with other wm/des and not have any issue afaik, so I didn’t expect this

1 Like

I happened to know that - but missed on putting a message to inform users who install. We do discuss a solution for this though :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.