Installation Failed - Bootloader installation error

I think that’s the wrong link?

I’m giving up on v-box for texting until it works properly. :wink:

Updated with the correct link, sorry about that.

It only shows one entry. You must have used efibootmgr -v which adds all that other stuff. I just usually use efibootmgr as i find it easier to decipher.

Edit: It’s only showing the flash drive as booted on. Not sure why there aren’t other entries but maybe it doesn’t show the installed unless booted into the system. :man_shrugging:

https://clbin.com/eVS42
Here you go, same thing pretty much. Does this help?

Well it just shows us what the boot entry is and there is only one which is the flash drive currently.

Edit: Is this on the flash drive that was created with rufus?

BalenaEtcher now, but it looks the same as before.

Well i guess you’ll see if the install works.

1 Like

Nope, same error as before. I even included a swap partition with hibernation because I think I only have 4 gigs of ram.

Here’s the error output:
https://termbin.com/fgkz

I keep trying to install grub, here are the commands I’ve tried:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/dev/sda --bootloader-id=GRUB --removable
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/dev/sda1 --bootloader-id=GRUB --removable
grub-install --bootloader-id="UEFI: Samsung Flash Drive FIT 1100"
grub-install

Every time it returns the same exact error:

grub-install: error: failed to make directory '/boot/grub'.

Trying it with sudo returns this instead:

grub-install: error: cannot find EFI directory

So I ran mount | grep /boot/efi and I got this:

/dev/sda1 on /tmp/calamares-root-722j0j7m/boot/efi type vfat (rw,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)

So I’m assuming the EFI directory is in /dev/sda1//tmp/calamares-root-722j0j7m/boot/efi, or just in /dev/sda1.

Running this monstrosity;

sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/dev/sda1//tmp/calamares-root-722j0j7m/boot/efi --bootloader-id=GRUB --removable

Returned this:

grub-install: error: failed to get canonical path of 'airootfs'.

I looked around some more, found out my EFI was in /sda1/, so I did this:

sudo mkdir /boot/efi
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /boot/efi
sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=GRUB --removable

And that LOOKED like it was working but then it spat out this again:
grub-install: error: failed to get canonical path of 'airootfs'.

So FINALLY:

sudo su
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi
arch-chroot /mnt
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id="UEFI: Samsung Flash Drive FIT 1100" --force --removable

outputted this:

Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.

I’m going to run the installer again, will update if the last method worked.

Please, try to read slowly and carefully, since you are doing an administrative job :wink:
From the posted Archwiki link :wink:

If for some reason it is necessary to run grub-install from outside of the installed system, append the --boot-directory= option with the path to the mounted /boot directory, e.g --boot-directory=/mnt/boot

Add the --boot-directory=/mnt/boot to your last command.

Also, the bootloader-id can be any normal descriptive text, which will become the label and folder name at the ESP (/boot/efi partition). Better short and no special characters, like EndeauvorOS, for example.

ok well now I don’t have the option to erase partitions to install the OS, so I’m back to having not idea what to do.

This is the correct way to arch-chroot and reinstall grub.

1 Like

Yeah but now I can’t install the system because I no longer have the option to wipe the disk, how do I install the OS now?

I don’t understand what you mean? Did you reboot and run the installer again and are trying to reinstall?

Edit: You may have messed up the live ISO trying to write commands to it. :thinking:

I rebooted, did the 5 commands to reinstall grub again from a fresh state, and tried to run the installer, and the installer no longer has the option to install by wiping the disk. Just install alongside, replace a partition, or manual partitioning.

After doing an arch-chroot and reinstalling grub were you not able to boot into the installed system? Why are you wanting to reinstall? I’m not sure what you are doing?

After doing the chroot and I don’t know how to boot into the installed system, I didn’t get… a button to boot in I guess. Just unplug and restart the computer?

You type exit and then from the command line type reboot i think.

Edit: You would have been in chroot so you are mounted to the discs so you have to unmount them with the umount command or or other way first such as exit. I think all of this is explained in the wiki for arch-chroot.

Edit: https://discovery.endeavouros.com/system-rescue/arch-chroot-for-efi-uefi-systems/2021/03/

oh. ok then. I’ll try that.

Edit: Booting back up into the laptop after installing grub just shows grub, no system. I ran the installer, it stopped because it couldn’t find grub, I installed grub and rebooted like you said and I just have a command line.

I’m gonna try installing the OS again now that grub is installed.

Edit: for some reason, letting the installer fail, installing grub, and then rebooting and starting the installer allowed me to replace the rolling endeavor OS partition with the endeavor OS partition I wanted to install? It’s still running, will update on whether or not it worked.