Installation failed, "/boot/efi doesn't look like an EFI partition"

First I used dd, and then installed this “gnome-multi-writer”, a very minimalistic tool. Installing popsicle right now. I am gonna try and will tell my results tomorrow.

Edit: same result with popsicle as with the other installers. I am going to try Ventoy next. It explicitly states on its website that it supports BIOS legacy.

can you from USB iso
add inxi

sudo pacman -S inxi 
inxi -Fza

I don’t think your ISO burning method is the problem. dd should work fine.

My advice would be to disable UEFI in the BIOS and try manually selecting the boot device at boot.

Most bioses have some way to do that. If it isn’t clear from the documentation, try hitting F8, F10, F11, F12 over and over again while the machine is booting and see if any of those lead you to a boot selection screen. If that doesn’t work, try spamming ESC and see if you get an option that way.

After trying still more with different USB drives, different software and BIOS settings, I found a simple way: I got myself some DVDs. Installed the iso on a DVD, the DVD booted with BIOS without UEFI options, and the installation worked well and without any error. Fortunately, this laptop has a working DVD drive.

As a conclusion, the reason why the laptop didn’t boot from a stick without UEFI mode is in its BIOS settings and some missing options. The laptop just seems to absolutely refuse to boot from USB properly. The USB drives worked fine, the installation of EOS was flawless every time I tried, and the EOS ISO files booted well on my even older laptop.

Now both my laptops have a working EndeavourOS on them. I am very thankful to all of you for your help! I have learned now how the booting works, tried a number of USB creator softwares from different websites, and suggested one of them to add EndeavourOS support.

I’m happy you have it working. Didn’t realize you had a dvd. That was the way i used to do all my installs until i got a new UEFI system. Some of the hardware out there just doesn’t work the way it’s supposed to because of poor implementation of UEFI or Bios or ACPI. It’s just one of those things that makes things more difficult than they should be if not impossible. As i mentioned before i have one system that won’t install MX Linux in UEFI. Haven’t figured out why as the same live usb’s work on mine and the boards are both MSI but one is a gamer board and the one that won’t work is a Pro version which is not that much different. Both are x570 AMD boards for Ryzen. The person wanted MX on it and it already has EndeavourOS installed in UEFI on it. I ended up installing it in MBR mode so they have to use an F key to boot from it. Anyway glad it’s working.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.