Install two EndeavourOS on two partitions of the same hard drive

Hi,

I’m new to EndeavourOS, I come from Manjaro and I installed Gemini a couple of days ago, and I have some questions right now:

1- In Manjaro I had two partitions, one with KDE and the other with GNOME, since I like to use both graphical environments. What is the best way to install another EndeavourOS on another partition using GRUB as a boot manager? (since I understand that there is no easy way to have both graphical environments installed at the same time on the same Linux, correct?)

I had EndeavourOS with KDE on my first partition, then, booting from the USB, I created another partition and installed EndeavourOS with GNOME on the second partition. But now when I boot into the GRUB menu it only shows me a single Linux, the GNOME one that I just installed, the KDE one has disappeared. I have tried enabling the os-prober option in the GRUB configuration file (GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false) and I have launched an update-grub, but after restarting I see that it still does not detect the other system.

Therefore, I wanted to ask you what is the best way and the steps to follow to be able to install a second EndeavourOS on another partition so that it can boot with either of them from GRUB, I don’t know if there is any guide on this.

2- Regarding the previous question, if I installed EndeavourOS with systemd instead of GRUB, would it be much easier to do so? I’m only using GRUB because, taking into account that I’m using the unstable repositories, I’m using TimeShift in case at some point the system doesn’t boot due to an update and I need to boot with a btrfs snapshot to restore it.

3- When I went to install EndeavourOS with GNOME, I selected the “install along side” option of Calamares so that it would split the partition that I already had of type Btrfs. But when doing so, the second partition that it was going to create is of type Ext4, when I want it to be the same type, Btrfs, and Calamares does not give any option to change the type of the partition that it is going to create.

What I wanted to know is, is this a native Calamares problem, which does not allow it, or is it some issue with the installer configuration in EndeavourOS, which does not have this option included in the Calamares configuration file?

Is it possible you installed one of the systems in UEFI mode and the other in legacy BIOS mode?

Which unstable repositories are you referring to? Unlike on Manjaro, the normal repos are very fast moving.

It should be pretty easy either way.

That is true, but there is a workaround. Choose “Erase Disk”, then choose “btrfs”. Don’t go to the next step. Instead, switch to “Install alongside”. It should retain the filesystem choice.

Yes, Calamares does not support switching the filesystem in “Install Alongside”

1 Like

No, I installed both in the same way without touching anything in the bios. Should EndeavorOS automatically, during the second installation, detect the first system and add it to the GRUB menu?

Sorry, I bring up that Manjaro concept. I meant that I am also using the testing repositories (core-testing, extra-testing, etc.). For this reason, I consider it appropriate to use TimeShift to be able to boot the system from a snapshot in case of failure due to an update.

I was asking this because 2 years ago I opened a petition to Calamares about this matter, I was talking to them in the forum and they agreed that they were going to implement it since, logically, it is a lack of functionality. But I see that it is still unimplemented so…

Do you have a reason for doing that? The repo concept is quite a bit different than Manjaro, the benefits aren’t really the same.

As far as I know, there is no Calamares forum. I believe adding that functionality to replace partition was done last year. Prior to that, it was only on “Erase Disk”

1 Like

Well, the only reason is obvious: to have the updates available in the shortest possible time, even if they are in the testing phase (although that entails a risk of instability, of course).

Sorry, I was referring to this (actually I see it was a year ago, I thought it had been longer):

Returning to the topic at the beginning, does anyone know how to install two EndeavorOS in two partitions of the same hard drive? As I’ve asked before, when doing the second installation, should the process automatically detect the first system and transparently add it to the GRUB menu as it did in Manjaro?

I just want to make sure you understand that unlike Manjaro, the risk is higher and the benefit much lower. Most packages arrive in testing only a or two before they hit the main repo.

Some packages will soak a bit longer depending on what they are but it is typically a really brief window.

You can use the “Install alongside” option or the “Replace Partition” option.

No, because we ship with os-prober disabled. If you enable os-prober in /etc/default/grub and then run sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg it should normally show up.

1 Like

Well, it doesn’t work for me. I have it activated in the configuration file:

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

And I launch sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg:

Generating grub configuration file ...
Found background: /usr/share/endeavouros/splash.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux
Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
Found fallback initrd image(s) in /boot:  initramfs-linux-fallback.img
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
done

But upon reboot, it still shows only a Linux entry in the GRUB menu.The other EndevaourOS partition with KDE is still not detected by GRUB.