Install dracut?

WOW!
I see you are so smart then!
I am sure you can contribute a lot, especially to this wonderful distro, community/developers.

Same. I think many here came from Manjaro. The best thing I ever did!
To summarize my experience of a full year of distrohopping Arch and Arch based are the best, EndeavourOS (as an OS/community/developers/forum…) are the best of the best.

If you need to be 100% sure how to install it correctly without any errors, then try it on your own VM with the same system (VM supports its snapshots) on your new laptop.
If it works well in your VM, then you can trust and install it in your system.

Thanks @Zesko
This is the bullet proof way for sure.
But I trust EndeavourOS developers and trust that the three commands on the website would be perfect!
I just installed Cassini on a FlashDisk, booted it, took a few steps to install. I really loved to see systemd-boot as an option! (though I am sticking with Grub for now just for the sake of possibility to boot from earlier sanpshots.
I really hope someone can play with systemd-boot and make it possible to boot from earlier snapshots or to recover earlier snapshots.

Converting now to dracut!
I hope (though I am sure) I will be back safe!

UPDATE:
Done! I’m still alive!
I noticed that before dracut my boot time was 15.444s , now it is 12.755s
Not much difference but at least I feel I am OK with the latest updates and not left behind.

That is because of dispute about package signing between the Arch maintainer and the dracut devs. That issue was recently resolved on the dracut side (2 days ago) so we will see what happens next.

Thanks @dalto
As this clarifies why there were no updates it indicates that updates are on the way (hopefully).

Yes, I know the reason…and indeed, we shall see what happens now.

Not that it matters to me…I use mkinitcpio.

2 Likes

I hope it’s ok if I somewhat hijack this thread with a question.

I’ve read about dracut and systemd-boot as well and of course I’m curious. However… I¨m not sure if I should make the switch from grub + mkinitpco to systemd-boot + dracut. I mean, everything works fine for me now. Should I make the change just because the grass seems greener?

1 Like

You are welcome @Whettingstone
We are thinking the same thing!
I just made a question at Convert to systemd-boot with dracut?

Welcome to join the new thread and hopefully we get the experts input there.

OK, first the systemd-boot/grub choice and mkinitcpio/dracut are separate and independent decisions.

Switching to dracut is trivially easy if you want to do that.

I would say “no”. If you have a working system and are happy with what you have, why switch?

1 Like

Yes, I understand that they are not linked. However, if I decide to change one then I might as well change both. :slight_smile:

Because the asphalt seems greener than the grass I’m standing on?
In all seriousness. There is a reason that Endeavour switched from mkinitcpo and grub to dracut and systemd-boot. I’m guessing since they are “better”. Would I not benefit from using them too then?

I am with you on the “don’t change it unless it’s broken” though.

dracut has a quite a few advantages in general but most of them don’t have much impact on an existing running system. That being said, it is easy to switch so go for it. The dracut discovery article lists the steps for switching.

Changing to systemd-boot is a bigger exercise with more tradeoffs. The instructions for that and the list of tradeoffs are here: [Tutorial] Convert to systemd-boot

If you decide to do both, following the systemd-boot instructions will also switch you dracut if you follow those instructions.

Based upon what I’ve been reading in these forums, it might be worth adding removing mkinitcpio-openswap to the directions in the event that kernel-install-for-dracut hangs on that.

1 Like

Exactly. If it’s not broken, why fix it?

Besides, I strongly suspect the reasons for EndeavourOS’s new ISO using dracut and soystemd-boot are not the same as any good reason I would have for switching.

2 Likes

Yeah, typically you’re not that kind of person:

1 Like

I switched for the fun of it. Haha.

sad-cry

Edit: @keybreak
Now you done it!

converted both my systems to dracut (with grub) - thanks for the guide
what the guide does not tell, is that when installing with Cassini, there is a default config file /etc/dracut.conf.d/myconf.conf

hostonly="yes"
compress="zstd"

which is not generated when converting. @dalto could you add that to the guide?
the default gzip compression is rather slow

Also, I did some heavy adding of omit_dracutmodules to my conf, mostly to get rid of the "not adding X because command can not be found" messages but also to speed up generation and booting, but that is stuff everyone can do based on their specific system (basically one can add every module that is not used on the system, as long as one does not plan on moving the disk to a system where it would be needed).

2 Likes

I will update it, although for your reference, that isn’t the contents of the file the installer places there. Setting hostonly="yes" isn’t useful if you are using eos-dracut

This is the content of the file we are installing currently:

The dracut wiki article has been updated with the suggestions made above.

Hi @BS86 , @dalto
I will appreciate any further information and how to if possible.