Initial Experience With Endeavour-OS

Good evening,

I would like to thank the team members for the efforts involved in getting together a very high quality distribution in a short time.

I would like to document my experience with setting up Endeavour on 2 computers, having used debian for approximately 1 year and manjaro for 6 months.

I wanted to change the manjaro system mainly due to intrigue and as i think it is more similar to pure arch, at least in repositories. Manjaro provided very good service, however.

Briefly, i have an older hp z440 setup with 2 monitors, 1 nvme and 1 luks with 2 ssds and an older nvidia card. This hardware set up beautifully under Endeavour, same as manjaro, with the nvidia driver. Did have some problems installing spyder, as it initially refused to override installed packages. I do think the kde system here consumes fewer resources than manjaro for sure, and it feels snappier. debian would not recognize the nic, and therefore i could not install this.

The laptop - a different story unfortunately.
Extremely tricky setup. I tried multiple distributions, including mxlinux, debian (no nic card again), manjaro, endeavour, deepin (would not load), and was disappointed by most.

I know that the hardware is tricky (Core7 i10), hybrid graphics, and weird sound module (below).

I am only saying this in case that support can improve in the future. I would like to use the same OS in both my computers at some point and I prefer to use KDE. Unfortunately, despite multiple attempts and after following the available online guides regarding the sound card, I just could not make it work under manjaro or endeavour (both failed similarly). However, pop-os has turned out to be a pleasant surprise and is very enjoyable despite gnome (their tweaks are much better); however, pop-os is limited by the kernels given the hybrid graphics.

In case that others have the same problem - i am surprised that pop had better hardware recognition than manjaro/endeavour despite a substantially older kernel.

I hope that this improves in the future.

I would welcome other’s thoughts, and thank you kindly for providing a great system and user help.

HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-df1xxx

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 9b61 (rev 0c)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics (rev 02)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor Thermal Subsystem (rev 0c)
00:12.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Comet Lake Thermal Subsytem
00:13.0 Serial controller: Intel Corporation Comet Lake Integrated Sensor Solution
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Device 02ed
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Device 02ef
00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless-AC 9462
00:15.0 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Serial IO I2C Host Controller
00:15.1 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Comet Lake Serial IO I2C Host Controller
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Comet Lake Management Engine Interface
00:17.0 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile SATA Controller [RAID mode]
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 02ba (rev f0)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 02bc (rev f0)
00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 02b0 (rev f0)
00:1d.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 02b4 (rev f0)
00:1d.6 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 02b6 (rev f0)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Device 0284
00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation Device 02c8
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Device 02a3
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Comet Lake SPI (flash) Controller
01:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS525A PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)
02:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge [Titan Ridge 2C 2018] (rev 06)
03:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge [Titan Ridge 2C 2018] (rev 06)
03:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge [Titan Ridge 2C 2018] (rev 06)
03:02.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge [Titan Ridge 2C 2018] (rev 06)
04:00.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 NHI [Titan Ridge 2C 2018] (rev 06)
3a:00.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 USB Controller [Titan Ridge 2C 2018] (rev 06)
3b:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP108M [GeForce MX250] (rev a1)
3c:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Intel Corporation Device 0975 (rev 03)
3d:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Intel Corporation Device 0975

Hello @porferry
Welcome… wish you could have waited a bit. I think the sound card you have is Intel and requires you to install: sof-firmware

Device:

00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation Device 02c8

I’m not sure on the graphics without seeing some hardware specs.

Edit: Oh sorry i see it at the bottom there it is:

3b:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP108M [GeForce MX250] (rev a1)

So it use the 450.xx drivers and also is hybrid Intel Graphics so ya it’s a little tricky to set up on Arch but doable.

2 Likes

thank you kindly ricklinux

i did install that module, both under manjaro and endeavour, and followed a couple of the online arch wikis on the subject (alsamixer, etc…).

however, it still did not work after following their directions and activating the modules.

curiously, it is the same module that is being used in pop, but it works there.

one more thing - bluetooth does not work in pop, but i’ll take my losses.

i would be happy to reconsider endeavour if the issue is fixed in the future.

thanks for your help!

1 Like

It’s not really an issue that is fixed but rather requires some manual intervention to get it working. That’s just the way it is with some hardware and Arch. PopOS is great. It’s based on Ubuntu and they do a lot of their own stuff so they have way more resources also. I know their product and their story. They also do a lot with Nvidia graphics. The only issue i have is that they only have Gnome but i will say they do a great Gnome version. Anything you need help on the other system or you decide down the road to give it another go … we are here!

2 Likes

once again - thank you for your amazing support!

i did keep endeavour on my desktop z440 - it’s great!!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community :beers:

Hi, I believe lot of this new issues will be solved by upcoming 5.10 kernel, especially on sound card department. Please check this link:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.10-More-Lenovo-Work

thank you kindly for your help -

hopefully that will be the case, although my computer is hp not lenovo.

i am looking forward to lenovo backporting some of their drivers for sound and fingerprint scanning.