Increasing Steam game boot time

All of the titles I care about work just fine on steam. However, a couple of titles take 1-2 minutes to boot up. Is there a way to increase the boot speed for some of these titles?

Running with Proton? You could try different Proton versions, but if it’s working it’s working.

Do you have shader pre-caching enabled in Steam? You could try to enable/disable that.

Your could try to enable Proton logging and see if that shows anything interesting.
Proton Debugging
‣ game you can add “PROTON_LOG=1 %command%” to the launch options,
‣ and it will dump a useful debug log to $HOME/steam-$APPID.log
‣ You use the command as I wrote them. %command% is the Steam variable for the actual command to run the game. If you don’t add %command% at the end, it would use the other stuff as options to the game.

Using proton experimental atm. Yeah, at the end of the day this is just a quality of life thing. Not a huge deal in any way. But I figure I’d look into it anyways.

Experiments seem to improve boot time. However, in game performance on a couple of titles seems to suffer as a result. Still looking into it.

How would I enter that command if I’m already using the DRI_PRIME=1 %command% atm?

DRI_PRIME=1 PROTON_LOG=1 %command%
1 Like

I don’t if it was just a recent update but at the moment the proton experimental overlay is booting stuff up as fast or FASTER than anything on steam ever booted up at on Win. Problem fixed! Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.