Image manipulation like a pro

Can anyone tell me what packages to edit images. Even if there is no dispute in deciding it as GIMP, there are 133 possibilities currently on AUR.

you can just install gimp and pretty much be done with it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use GIMP, Have tried a few others in the past (can’t remember which ones it was so long ago) but just didn’t like the interface

On Linux you have many options for photo editing and image manipulation. Of the top of my head:

1. GIMP
  2. Darktable
  3. Krita
  4. Imagemagick
  5. G’MIC
  6. LightZone
  7. RawTherapee

Most of them are in the repos, if not, they are in the AUR.

Who needs that photoshop garbage in the current year? :rofl:

1 Like

I am sure i don’t possess the skills of a professional, wonder how they set it up in the studios.

And the current next year :wink:

1 Like

it took two hours for me to just resize the height of one image to the same as the other.

In GIMP you can scale an image by going to Image->Scale Image - Then enter you dimensions, if you only want to change the height or the width unlink them with the icon next to where you input the dimensions you want to change

1 Like

This might help. It’s available in various languages.

2 Likes

More for your list:

1. Digikam
  2. Gthumb
  3. Gwenview
  4. Pinta
  5. Show photo
1 Like

i get it Michael @smokey. though it may not be the case, i was afraid to unlink the proportion, so that if i change the height then the image may get skewed.

The thing is content is taller at about 1075, but i needed it to be little shorter, so that the total image size comes to about 2000x1075px.

it may be redundant but i added another layer with background color (white) and sent it below, with the target size 2000 x 1075.

i selected the actual layer with content to a rough height of 1000px. then i resized the image to the target size of 2000 x 1075 and somehow moved the content to the center.

Inkscape missing here to ;=

3 Likes

It depends what you mean by “image editing”.

If you are referring to “photo editing” than I recommend something with a non-destructive workflow like:

• darktable
  • rawtherapee

If you just want basic changes(more than just cropping/resizing which almost anything can handle) then I like:

• showfoto

More serious destructive editors:

• gimp
  • krita

If you are an artist/designer you might consider one of these depending on what you are trying to do:

• krita
  • inkscape

Those are just a handful of my favorites, there are tons of image editing tools on Linux.

it is mostly for manipulating stock images and add them to websites, i create. work would be broadly

1. touch up images
  2. resize image
  3. change from one color to another

So i guess i would need 3 or 4 of the above. Thanks @dalto

1 Like

Unless the images are vector art, it sounds like gimp or krita to me.

+1 for gimp.
It’s quite easy to google up what you actually need in GIMP, and for your use case it’s few clicks away.

1 Like

You can always undo any changes you make if they don’t look correct, a quick press of ctrl+z and it’ll revert to the original scaling, experiment and you’ll find what works for you, sorry I can’t be more helpful, I’ve always taught myself through trial and error

1 Like

This depends on what youre doing exactly as “image manipulation” isnt very clear

Your main Packages are

1.GIMP
2.Krita
3.Darktable
4.Blender
5.Inkscape

That should cover every base. Be aware that GIMP still doesnt have non destructive editing so if you really want to use it in a more professional way you need to get use to using A LOT of layers (and RAM) or else your images will end up looking like crap with to many edits. Krita/Darktable are both non destructive and Blender is for any 3D work you may need to do or can even use it for video editing or compositing but i prefer natron + flowblade for some of that. Inkscape is vector art if you need it.

EDIT:

Darktable and GIMP would be the main ones for this then

Darktable is a bit scary at first but an amazing tool once you learn it some and IMO mops the floor with lightroom minus its learning curve. GIMP is good but still falls behind photoshop in many areas but hopefully soonish that wont be the case.

2 Likes

Frequency separation is actually much better IMO and fairly easy. Healing tool can be weird sometimes so this is my preferred method

1 Like