I'm going to be a Newbie, and distrohop. . . help!

:grin: Like EndeavourOS!

I’ve set up EOS to run a non-interactive update in the background every two days. If certain packages were updated the user is then reminded to reboot.
So far, this has been running for a couple of weeks without any problems at all. If something should break I plan to guide the user (per phone if needed) to booting into a working btrfs-snapshot and restore with Timeshift.

Disclaimer: Before I get stoned for auto-updating a rolling release … the aforementioned user is my partner, has been told what could happen and has agreed to take part in this long-term-experiment :wink: .

4 Likes

Thank goodness you wrote that, because I was just about to :rofl: Phew!

On a serious note: if you are willing to provide support for the non-technical user (say, a family member), then you should probably install what you use personally, so that it’s easy for you to maintain that computer.

8 Likes

Canonical working with Microsoft stuff. That’s all.

That’s a good point.

I guess I’m now wondering why I would go against my normal urge to just tell everyone to kick rocks and not help a soul. Maybe it’s just not worth it and if people cared, they should just go figure it out themselves.

Maybe this is an exercise of futility.

2 Likes

That’s my attitude. :laughing:

If you recommend a distro and something goes wrong, they’re gonna probably blame you for picking a lousy distro for them, and/or they’re gonna come to you for help and to get answers and stuff.

Bah, who needs it? I figured it all out on my own, let them do the same. If they’re not motivated enough to do a little research, stuff’s probably going to end badly for them anyway, and sooner rather than later.

5 Likes

This is true for strangers and not-too-close friends. But when you have a family member using windoze, that just hurts your soul. You love them and care about their well-being, You want the best for them! You can’t have them use windoze…

6 Likes

You have some very interesting feelings towards family in Croatia. Here in the USA, feelings towards family are usually disappointment, resentment and general pettiness about all sorts of things. Quite the opposite indeed.

7 Likes

So you’re saying you wouldn’t want to use any Linux software or distribution if they had a working relationship in some capacity with Microsoft?

I don’t think he said that. At least I understood it to be more like “Microsoft and Canonical are untrustworthy” and I want my computer to be as free from them as possible, a sentiment I completely share.

1 Like

Well, first he talked about Ubuntu getting rid of WSL which came across to me that he doesn’t understand what WSL actually is which is why I clarified his stance, he then said he doesn’t want Canonical working with Microsoft…seems pretty straightforward to me but I’ll let him speak for himself to make sure I am not misunderstanding.

1 Like

Yes.

Embrace > extend > extinguish

Microsoft ™

4 Likes

I stand corrected. :slight_smile:

@fbodymechanic I don’t think that’s practical, but I agree fully with your sentiment. M$ is evil.

3 Likes

Used to play small games via VM in Cinnamon 3 years ago; other than that, it was native Gog games and supertuxkart, which ran fine. I was interested to try the Cinnamon DE early this year, running Anarchy then, and went into it knowing that it’s a heavier DE than Mate, but was a bit surprised when games I knew ran 100% fine on Mate didn’t start on Cinnamon. Saw no need to investigate further at the time, with Mate working fine. Wish I had more details to feedback, but that’s it.

It was interesting to try the DE again, and it runs beautifully, but didn’t seem to like larger gaming … could have been my old card/system, an i7/radeon r9 255. Haven’t tried with the new RX5700XT all-AMD system, but tbh wouldn’t want to work the card more than needed, when knowing already that Mate runs very light. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

So that would mean any software that uses GitHub?

1 Like

I think you would be surprised with how much cooperation exists between Microsoft and the Linux ecosystem. I mean, they’ve contributed to the kernel itself so I dunno it seems like an untenable position to me :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I think MX Linux with Xfce is a good choice

1 Like

Yeah, we are fully in the “Embrace” stage at the moment, and “Extend” is starting to happen with WSL…

GNU/Hurd should really hurry up.

1 Like

I still think Linux Mint Cinnamon is the way to go. Either Ubuntu or Debian version. Otherwise EndeavourOS Xfce or Cinnamon.

4 Likes

I’m pretty disappointed they bought that. They didn’t build it and open source projects are fine.

I’m not going to go one by one everything that they do or don’t do. But I flat out can’t endorse an app store of proprietary nature built jointly by Microsoft and canonical. WSL will only further perpetuate the “embrace” part of their mission statement as you now can just run Linux inside of Microsoft. Why use it exclusively? That’s how extinguish happens eventually.

3 Likes

Personally, I would not host my project on GitHub. But I have no problems cloning stuff from it. Code is code. :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

I don’t think it’s practical. But if I can cut out 90% or more, I’m happy about that. I’ll not pick as little from them as I can.

2 Likes