If not EndeavourOS, what distro would you be using?

For me it would be (and was) openSUSE Tumbleweed :lizard:

2 Likes

For me, I always have a special fondness for Slackware Linux.

2 Likes

I started my Linux adventure with Mandrake (KDE 3) and RedHat before it became Fedora (Gnome 2) I can’t remember when I stitched to a 'Buntu based LTS system. I liked Fedora but didn’t want to upgrade every nine months to get the latest goodies. Now I use KDE Neon as my daily driver!

Sorry, but I do have a USB stick with Endeavour and was going to install it on my old ThinkPad but I had a bit of a surprise with the Chromebook I bought for the boss and it’s gone back! Now she’s using my ThinkPad. Once the Chromebook is returned with the 8Gb RAM I paid for then I’ll install Endeavour!

Personally, I blame IBM for ditching OS/2 Warp…

2 Likes

Now there’s a system that deserved to be further developed - di you get onto version 4? It could run Windows with more stability than Windows could - and its own stuff was pretty good!

1 Like

I went from MS-DOS and Windows 3.11 (With PC-Tools for Windows) to OS/2 Warp 3 and then Warp 4 as soon as it was released and then when there was not going to be a Warp 5 I bought eComStation 1.0 and then 1.1. eComStation was based on Warp 4.51 and 4.52. I fully switched to Linux in 2004. Windows 95 and onwards was never an option.

1 Like

I was working with Windows at work at the time, so I got to live with W95 and W98(SE) for a while - and even built a machine that came with WinME (which was surprisingly good, actually) - but I was on TAMU from 1996/7 on the ‘big’ '386 :grin:

I wonder if we are in danger of going Off Topic here? Nahhh…

2 Likes

You seem to be talking about other distros (windows is a distro technically) that you would use if not for Endeavour (in 1996/7 it would definitely be unlikely you would use Endeavour. . . )

Seems ok to me? But I can find commonality in anything.

2 Likes

TAMU was similar (I guess) to a bare-bones install of EnOS - but with an early X system and Motif. It sure was fun trying to get the timings and settings for my ATI card into X though! Alas - I mostly used it for ‘C’ programming, so the GUI didn’t get much use…

It was my go-to programming system until Ubuntu convinced me that Debian wasn’t worth fighting with anymore - once 6.06 was released late! (should have 6.04, but…)

The correct answer for me is: if EnOS disappeared. I would be on Arch… and I would keep the EnOS repo going and available too - I have an advantage there ATM as I run an EnOS mirror! :grin: I don’t see giving up all this goodness easily!

3 Likes

I think this is good, always have a plan B, favorite distro #1 then #2.

I actually don’t know. Right now I plan on experimenting a couple of #2 distros (yes, eos is #1). I would probably use manjaro or arcolinux. Perhaps fedora? Or pop Os/linux mint?

In general, I prefer something as vanilla as possible, close to arch or debian but with a gui for installing a basic system that works (wifi, printer, login manager, etc.). I did arch installs before, about 4-5 times but somehow am never happy with it because I feel I may miss some important components due to my knowledge gap? and lack of time searching for more background info.

2 Likes

OS/2 Warp did indeed have solid capabilities. It was, however, priced higher and marketed primarily, if not exclusively, for the IBM-specific hardware of that era.

Had IBM promoted and priced this at a decent, perhaps even a discount price, it may have been different. However they were also being challenged in court for various things at various times, and their primary product lines in their mainframe and departmental server lines each exceeded the total revenue of most hardware and software companies (at that time). Of course, that changed; by then the market influences, the drive for commodity equipment, services, and prices took hold, followed not long thereafter by the free software movements.

1 Like

As the Windows vs. PS/2 OS/2 Warp events were taking place, I started evaluating small tower enclosed hardware running minimal configurations of UNIX, typically hybrid versions of UNIX Version 7 and BSD 4.*, before UNIX System V was complete.

By the time that AT&T released UNIX System V, I was pretty entrenched into vendor implementations that were primarily based on BSD kernels and a blend of BSD and AT&T software utilities, mixed with a moderate smattering of GNU software,

When I finally got my hands on a Slackware Linux CD set, I was firmly entrenched in using a LOT of GNU alternatives to AT&T utilities, including GNU tar, GNU Emacs, Bash, and various GNU implementations of typical UNIX activities. Because of this, I almost had a complete GNU environment on UNIX software, so when I tried Linux for the first time, it was familiar and comfortable to me, since the primary differences were the kernel, installation and system configuration tools.

I still worked by day on UNIX operating systems, but at home, I finally bought my first personal computer, and I put Linux on it. As noted, Slackware was first; Corel Linux was second, Mandrake was third, then I started multi-booting with Mandrake, Red Hat, SUSE, and Debian, and that cemented my long time journey. To this day I multi-boot anywhere from 4 distributions on a fast computer with a small NVME SSD drive to as many as 10-12 distros on a much larger hard drive.

Endeavour OS made it onto the 10-12 distro system, then I also brought it onto the newer, faster NVME solid state drive system.

1 Like

The easiest way around that (I know, heresy) is to get a package list from a lightweight EnOS install - and install with - - needed using that. You should have a solid working Arch system! If you are not sure about how that works, do a forum search on pkglist to see a good way to make that happen - it is worth knowing and having around to repopulate other Arch based setups at need.

2 Likes

I will check it out. I always wanted to put together a script with my fav packages so I can reinstall on other computers and don’t need to go through the whole process again.

I know this method works (well) for the purpose - and once you have the pkglist.txt file created, you can rebuild from scratch very quickly! For instance, when testing the new ISO, I found I could recreate my ENTIRE setup (including theming, fonts, and all programs) from a freshly formatted partition in under 20 minutes! (fast connection).

1 Like

Having said that, MX Linux is my backup distro on a USB for emergencies.

I love Tumbleweed, I just find that it still has some dependency problems (Suse was my first distro ever in 2006 and back then it was infamous for Dependency Hell).
I still find that if you’re wanting to play around and add and remove a lot of stuff (not so much now for me, but back 2.5 years ago when I was still a re-noob on Linux) Suses way of handling dependencies made it easy to add things certainly (yast is great) but things got messy really fast if you tried to remove the same packages you just had put in there since several of them suddenly were Hard Dependencies to other packages for some reason despite not being installed from the start…

I find Fedora, the other big rpm based distro has much better package management.

But other than that I adore openSuse in general and I am sure that now, when I know by heart what applications I prefer… much less problems.

1 Like

Maybe it will time to go oldschool again …
slackware

4 Likes

We only need one distro of Linux … EndeavourOS! :enos: :enos_flag: :rocketa_purple: :fox_face:

5 Likes

For pro linux users, endeavouros is great choice

But for newbie zorinos 16 is best

1 Like

Yes, I was just watching Explaining Computers on Youtube and this week’s video was about Zorin. I usually recommend Linux Mint Cinnamon to newbies but after trying the live image of Zorin I’ve changed my mind