IdeaPad Gaming 3i 16" (12th Gen 12700H, 3050 Ti)

im afraid that i did boot into the default kernel once that command returned nothing.
uname -r returns 5.18.9-arch1-1

Did you run those commands now in the default kernel?

sudo modprobe -rv rtw_8852ae
sudo modprobe -v rtw_8852ae

yes, they fail.
“Module rtw_8852ae not found.”
and the second command, with just the -v option, is more specific and says that the module is not found in /lib/modules/5.18.9-arch1-1

What does the other one do

sudo modprobe -rv rtw89_pci
sudo modprobe -v rtw89_pci

both go through no issue. with just the -v option it had an output, so im rebooting again now.
running “reboot” seems to take much longer than “shutdown now” followed by manually powering up…

nothing seems to have changed post reboot. The output of

sudo modprobe -v rtw89_pci

is

insmod /lib/modules/5.18.9-arch1-1/kernel/net/wireless/cfg80211.ko.zst 
insmod /lib/modules/5.18.9-arch1-1/kernel/lib/crypto/libarc4.ko.zst 
insmod /lib/modules/5.18.9-arch1-1/kernel/net/mac80211/mac80211.ko.zst 
insmod /lib/modules/5.18.9-arch1-1/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtw89/rtw89_core.ko.zst 
insmod /lib/modules/5.18.9-arch1-1/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtw89/rtw89_pci.ko.zst 

It might help to see here the exact output from the commands…

So it looks like the module is there? :thinking:

1 Like

yeh sorry. there it is.

i am trying to sort out nvidia right now and it seems that LTS is the only thing that is working for it. I hope our solution could migrate to the LTS kernel

1 Like

So is the wifi working? And are you in the current kernel?

I’d assume the default kernel would work with the fairly new Nvidia card, interesting you need to use the LTS kernel for it.
But easier to solve one issue at a time…

1 Like

Please don’t try to work on Nvidia without help. You need to solve this wifi issue first! From your original output you have no driver loaded for nvidia. So it requires first installing Nvidia drivers and then optimus-manager or some other way to switch graphics. I personally wouldn’t be using the lts kernel. I only suggested trying it to solve the WiFi issue.

@manuel Can help you get Nvidia installed and set up easily.

Device-2: NVIDIA GA107M [GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Mobile] vendor: Lenovo
    driver: N/A arch: Ampere bus-ID: 0000:01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:25a0

i… i dont think its working? once i unplug the ethernet cable, i cannot find a way to use the wifi.
ip a does not show anything new from when i last posted it. There is no wifi applet at the bottom that pops up.
nmtui does now show anything wifi related anywhere.
networkctl only shows that same enp47s0 which is my ethernet i think, along with lo (loop thing)
and doing inxi -Na as shown here, i dont see anything obvious. (though i dont know what to look for really but im pretty sure…)
and yes i am 100% on the current kernel.

Okay it may not show the WifI applet but that doesn’t mean it isn’t working or the module isn’t loaded.

inxi -Na

Edit: Please post this again now!

sorry for bring up another thing! yes yes, one thing at a time.
there is no dead line i suppose. only, anything that cannot for sure be sorted should be sussed out within 2 or 3 days id say.
of course, really rather it not come to that. and this set of hardware will be good to have out there for any config changes…

]$ inxi -Na
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    vendor: Lenovo driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 4000 bus-ID: 0000:2f:00.0
    chip-ID: 10ec:8168 class-ID: 0200
  Device-2: Realtek vendor: Lenovo driver: N/A port: 3000
    bus-ID: 0000:30:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:b852 class-ID: 0280

edit: i assume we’re hoping for a 3rd device named something like wl0...

Okay it’s still showing N/A yet the modprobe brought up the right info. It should just show the module loaded for the driver as rtw89_pci

Maybe you want to move on to the Nvidia then. Run this test and post the output.

nvidia-inst -t

very well.

[cyris@idefix ~]$ nvidia-inst -t
2022-07-08 21:14:08: Info: Running: nvidia-inst v1.2-1
2022-07-08 21:14:08: Info: Command line: nvidia-inst -t
2022-07-08 21:14:08: Info: Selected mode: nvidia
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
COMMANDS TO RUN:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[cyris@idefix ~]$ 
$ uname -r
5.18.9-arch1-1

:wink:

edit: couple of the things i have done some configuartion on is battery related.
I have tlp installed and (hopfully) running. a few changes to the conf there too.

I don’t see all of the output?

that… is the whole output.