I3wm Feb 2021 feedback and noobs questions

Yes that helped, thanks!

1 Like

Iā€™ve always found that if you want to use a DE and a WM in different sessions then it is better to install the DE first, then install the alternative WM later. After that set up the WM setup as you would like it. Different configs yes, but less problems in the end. Power management in desktops vs laptops is always a pain in the ass, otherwise I could swap some configs between my lappies and desktops but unfortunately not. Some of this is hardware related too. Iā€™ve found differences between Lenovo and Dell even after checking the BIOS/UEFI settings.

1 Like

:100:% the idea of i3 setup!

3 Likes

I have a i3wm, just installed xfce tonight. This error is reproducible, when I switch to the EOS theming in xfce, I cannot run any keybinding in i3wm session, I get the GDBus Error. When I disable the EOS theming in xfce the error disappears and all is goodā€¦

hmmmmmm this is interestingā€¦ i need to have a lookā€¦ but xfce4 does some hidden backup and merging on all changes so could be hard to find the cause.
On my try it does simple work after disable dex from i3/config

To make one thing clear:
The EndeavourOS i3 setup replaces a Desktop Environment as we put in tools and settings to give a Desktop Environment comfort, if you install a full DE and want to run i3 as WM on this, it needs to review the setup. As some tolls and configs will be interfering with the one the DE will use/start.

5 Likes

I recall xfce with eos theming and i3wm with eos theming working together in Oct-Nov. could be that in the meantime xfce got updated to xfce4 and something conflicts as you mentioned.

i say already dex is the issue it was not in the old i3 settings.
and xfce4 is updated to 4.16 in between also, changing some stuff.

Got it, thanks for checking what was the culprit.

Can someone explain to me the reasoning between changing the default keybindings? Was it just user preference or was there something more?
I just installed EndeavourOS for the first time with i3, and I must say muscle memory is playing some tricks on me right now :stuck_out_tongue:
Also, my vim install seems weird. Insert mode doesnā€™t seem to work, Iā€™ll have to investigate that.

1 Like

Hi! Welcome to the forum! :partying_face: :enos_flag:

I am in the same boat as you. I donā€™t like the default keybindings in EnOS i3 edition, but Iā€™m not going to fight the devs for that.
(Fight isnā€™t what I want to mean. But I dunno what the right word)

I feel that the keybindings in EnOS i3edition is easier for newbies to understand. Those people who used a traditional DE all their lives, will probably have it easier to switch to i3. This is my opinion.

I just use my own configs :wink:

This seems a bit weird. We surely need to investigate that.

Edit:
@joekamprad will surely give a better reasoning for the keybindings change.

3 Likes

Hey, thanks! I wouldnā€™t fight anyone, Iā€™m just curious to the reasoning. In community project like this, the answer is rarely something boring like ā€œItā€™s just how I like itā€, and Iā€™m always interested in seeing other opinions. Tomorrow morning Iā€™ll just prune the i3 config and tame it to how I like it, but itā€™s fun to see why it got changed.

For vim, I think specifically the arrows and backspace in insert mode are not working. I think the escape sequence gets eaten somewhere and isnā€™t being sent. hmmm.

1 Like

Sorry didnā€™t mean to say ā€œfightā€ exactly. Iā€™m not a native speaker and seem to use inaccurate words sometimes. :sweat_smile: (I still donā€™t know the exact word for what I wanted to say)

Yes :hugs: I am not a contributor to the i3edition, but seeing the discussions about it, I get the impression that it is meant for those tho are switching to i3wm from a traditional DE. I would certainly recommend EnOS i3edition to a newbie, but for existing i3 users, Iā€™d say no.

This might have to do with your terminal emulator/shell. Try using a different terminal emulator to see if the problem persists. I use alacritty, and vim keybindings work out of the box.

1 Like

that the wonder of linux ā€¦ you no like the build that get you started , that cool :+1: You add , remove and switch thing and then it become YOUR build ā€¦ We all different

4 Likes

welcome here to EndeavourOS !
Keybindings are very hard to configure in a way to fit everyoneā€™s need and they are also limited in many ways.
So what we come up with for the eos-i3 setup is a mix of what is possible, what would fit someone coming from a traditional DE on the base of the defaults from i3.

In fact, I have had a hard time finding a way to implement all keybindings I wanted to be inā€¦ and I do see that this is not the perfect solution, also because if a user is used to this one and then start to use default i3 or other WM it will be like your impression from the other sideā€¦

5 Likes

you could also just install the standard eos xfce and use the terminal to install i3wm, then login that session for a vanilla i3 experience and make it to your liking.

I love the tweaks of eos i3wm, I actually learned these keybindings and I guess already have the muscle memory and will be difficult to use i3 vanilla for me :laughing:

Some i3wm implementations add a conky window on the desktop with keybindings. I find that helpful until muscle memory is established to get then rid of itā€¦

1 Like

mod +f1 bring up keybindings Cleaner IMO :blush:

No wish upset conky fans :innocent: :blush:

2 Likes

True, forgot about that text file! I would automatically make it open at startup (exec in config file) on workspace 1 until I learn the keybindings. :thinking: why did I never think of that

But conky looks nice! my experience is very limited with conkyā€¦ :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

i sure EOS conky master @freebird54 point you good direction ā€¦ master conky by screenshots

2 Likes