I3wm backlight problem

Hi everyone , i’m a linux user for some years now but i’m completely new in the arch system and in the i3wm.

My machine is a lenovo x1 yoga 1st gen. I’ve just installed Eos wit the i3wm and now i’m working to customize everything i need, but i’m having an iusse with the backlight shortcut.

i’ve run from terminal the coomand xev -event keyboard to find out the “name” of the keys i need and this was the result

Then i installed xbacklight and i opened the i3 .config file and made the following keybindings
2021-02-07_10-21

if i execute xbacklight from the terminal everityng works fine and the screen brightness increase and decrease correctly but with the .config script nothing happen. I don’t understand the problem.

P.s. the system does not show any error.

I hope i was clear with the description of my problem and i also hope that this is not a dumb question.
Thank you in advace for the help, i’m really willing to learn and understand this wm.

Why are you binding both XF86WakeUp and XF86MonBrightnessUp? You only need XF86MonBrightnessUp .

You would hold function key and the brightness keys…

it would be like XF86MonBrightnessUp exec xbacklight -inc 20 - I might be wrong but this is what works for me!

Also welcome!!! :enos_flag: :enos_flag:

Enjoy your time here!

3 Likes

I put my solution here, works on lenovo thinkpad t490s, just in case (for me no need to pression Fn key):

sudo pacman -S xorg-xbacklight

then added the following to my config file

bindsym XF86MonBrightnessUp exec xbacklight -inc 10
bindsym XF86MonBrightnessDown exec xbacklight -dec 10
3 Likes

Thankyou so much, i did what you say and i wrote the binding without the function key and it works great!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

thankyou very much! You were right, i just wrote the binding without the fn key and it works great.

Awesome! For me just adding the code in the config file worked but since installing the new February EOS iso, I had to install xorg-xbacklight to make it work on my system. Easy fix, may be good that they add this in the config file, I will mention it in my other thread.