I3 Randomly Crashing

Maybe you can try the following kernel parameters in the default grub command line and the run the update grub command.

processor.max_cstate=5 rcu_nocbs=0-11

Hmm that didnā€™t seem to work, thanks anyways though.
Funny enough I loaded up Spotify and played a song and 2 seconds later I got a freeze.

journalctl -r

-- Boot 7b5dd4e58b5c482e8f61823b4f51e6e1 --
Oct 07 18:04:54 stephen-laptop playerctld[1403]: could not get properties for active player: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs: No such interface ā€œorg.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Playlistsā€
Oct 07 18:04:54 stephen-laptop playerctld[1403]: could not get properties for active player: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs: No such interface ā€œorg.mpris.MediaPlayer2.TrackListā€
Oct 07 18:03:29 stephen-laptop kernel: pcieport 0000:00:08.1: PME: Spurious native interrupt!
Oct 07 17:55:38 stephen-laptop org.flameshot.Flameshot[1354045]: flameshot: info: Capture saved to clipboard.

Iā€™m thinking it probably has something to do with my headphone jack maybe because I had plugged in headphones just as I booted up Spotify.

lspci -vv -t | grep 08.1
could be your hardware not properly working or a kernel regression causing it to fail to load properlyā€¦

lspci -vv -t | grep 08.1

+-08.1-[02]--+-00.0  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series]

Maybe I didnā€™t install the AMD drivers correctly but Iā€™m pretty sure I did.
I guess I should also provide more context to the freezes because usually after freezing Iā€™m still able to move my mouse around but none of the keyboard inputs work and the windows seem to be frozen as well.

inxi -Ga
will showā€¦

1 Like
inxi -Ga

Graphics:                                                                                                                                                                                                     
  Device-1: AMD Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Mobile Series]                                                                                                                                       
    vendor: Huawei driver: amdgpu v: kernel arch: GCN-5 code: Vega                                                                                                                                            
    process: GF 14nm built: 2017-20 pcie: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 16                                                                                                                                      
    ports: active: eDP-1 empty: DP-1,DP-2,HDMI-A-1 bus-ID: 02:00.0                                                                                                                                            
    chip-ID: 1002:15dd class-ID: 0300                                                                                                                                                                         
  Device-2: Quanta hm1091_techfront type: USB driver: uvcvideo                                                                                                                                                
    bus-ID: 3-1:2 chip-ID: 0408:1020 class-ID: 0e02                                                                                                                                                           
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.4 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.3                                                                                                                                               
    compositor: Picom v: git-7e568 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu                                                                                                                                                  
    unloaded: modesetting,vesa alternate: fbdev gpu: amdgpu display-ID: :0                                                                                                                                    
    screens: 1                                                                                                                                                                                                
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1920x1080 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 508x285mm (20.00x11.22")                                                                                                                                     
    s-diag: 582mm (22.93")                                                                                                                                                                                    
  Monitor-1: eDP-1 mapped: eDP model: ChiMei InnoLux 0x14d4 built: 2016                                                                                                                                       
    res: 1920x1080 hz: 60 dpi: 158 gamma: 1.2 size: 309x173mm (12.17x6.81")                                                                                                                                   
    diag: 354mm (13.9") ratio: 16:9 modes: max: 1920x1080 min: 640x480                                                                                                                                        
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics (raven LLVM 14.0.6 DRM 3.42                                                                                                                                    
    5.15.71-1-lts) v: 4.6 Mesa 22.1.7 direct render: Yes

all fine ā€¦

Oct 06 20:58:15 stephen-laptop wireplumber[752]: could not save restore-stream: Failed to create file ā€œ/home/stephen/.local/state/wireplumber/restore-stream.ATVIT1ā€: No such file or directory

could not save restore-stream: Failed to create file

hmm are permissions right?

ls -l /home/stephen/.local/state/wireplumber

ls -l /home/stephen/.local/state/wireplumber

total 8                                                                                                                                                                                                       
-rw-r--r-- 1 stephen stephen  642 Oct  8 09:46 default-routes                                                                                                                                                 
-rw-r--r-- 1 stephen stephen 1580 Oct  8 11:05 restore-stream

I would try and test another kernel parameter

processor.max_cstate=1

Unfortunately that didnā€™t work, journalctl didnā€™t provide anything useful either around the crash time.

Have you checked sudo dmesg | eos-sendlog
Post the link.

https://clbin.com/UbSJf
After crashing a bunch of times I have a suspicion that it might just be the system stopping a lot of services when the memory or cpu usage is too high or something. Just a guess because honestly these crashes are just happening randomly now so I donā€™t think theyā€™re tied to a specific application at least.

Iā€™m more and more starting to believe that high memory/cpu usage is the cause of crashing because Iā€™ve crashed 4 times in the past hour from just running a Nextjs dev server although I have crashed before from other applications. Does arch have a way of automatically stopping processes if they are taking too much resources?

If these kernel parameters didnā€™t help you should remove them and update grub.

processor.max_cstate=1 rcu_nocbs=0-11

Maybe remove those other kernel parameters and add these and update grub to test them.

iommu=soft idle=nomwait

Still got a freeze :frowning: Itā€™s weird because of how random they are.

I donā€™t know what is causing the freezing. There are many kernel parameters for hardware. Iā€™m guessing and the only way is to test them. Is it possible to run journactl something like this when you get a freeze.

sudo journalctl --since ā€œ15 minutes agoā€

@Shanks
You might want to try this as a kernel parameter and update grub.

acpi_osi='Windows 2019'

i would do a memory (RAM) test alsoā€¦ may Bios/Firmware offer something like that?