I3 config reload not working

if i give this command in a terminal i3-msg reload it says succes but config is not reloaded… don’t know why but i know myself just keep it in my mind and then a solution will come. most of time it something very simple i have over looked.

Your issue is changing the border colors like you told me in the private message. Your i3 config reloads fine, correct? You should edit your question.

Well i thought it was the case but config is not reloading for some reason. one of these days i start over from scratch use dotfiles from somebody else just to see if the same problem returns.

If you edit say the terminal shortcut and reload? Have you tried that?

no not with terminal bit did try to change thunar with geany and did not work yeah config changed and saved but reload config not working not after reboot, and not after fully removal of i3 yeah i see my changes in the config file that i saved but it is not getting loaded for some strange reason. and i try to figure out why this happens that why i think i have found a I3 bug maybe it is related to some other package i have on my system.

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure there is not a second config file for i3 in ~/.i3/config

just checked on a clean install using default config from i3 package and it does work like it should too reloads config and changes are there…

If you are still trying to troubleshoot and have i3 installed, post:

i3 --moreversion
localectl
grep -wE "grp|^include|setxkbmap|locale|localectl|Mod1|Mod4" "~/.i3/config" "~/.config/i3/config"

Note: I am not an i3 user, or have it installed.

1 Like

wau that’s cool:
i3 --moreversion
will show used config…

[21:54:59] joekamprad :: SLIMSHADY64  ➜  ~ » i3 --moreversion
Binary i3 version:  4.21.1 (2022-10-28) © 2009 Michael Stapelberg and contributors
Running i3 version: 4.21.1 (2022-10-28) (pid 1108)
Loaded i3 config:
  /home/joekamprad/.config/i3/config (main) (last modified: So 01 Jan 2023 18:03:12 CET, 13910 seconds ago)

The i3 binary you just called: /usr/bin/i3
The i3 binary you are running: i3

1 Like

seconds… hours :wink:

will rebuild the config from scratch tomorrow afternoon. thanks for checking.

Yeah i came a cross that option that is cool.