I tried opensuse tumbleweed

Checked it out for fun, its quite a well polished distro, setting it up is fairly straightforward, only con about it is that nvidia has it as an afterthought, no latest driver in its repo and the only major thing that drew me away from it is its yast system, password pls, password pls, password pls, by the time i am done installing something, i could have installed 5 different stuff on arch. I have to say if that was more well thought into, it could be a similar experience using arch + aur, since they have the openbuild thing.

What are your experiences using it?

1 Like

it is too troublesome with the dependencies. if you install things and remove things earlier or later Yast , messes up, with twisted dependency problems. So stay with EOS I would say.

1 Like

Actually open suse was the first distro I ever tried.

Last year or so I tried tumbleweed but like you ran into problem with yast, gave me an error to update my system right after vanilla install! Back then I used dropbox but btrfs was not supported. Abandonned peetty rapidly my open suse odysse.

3 Likes

I actually tried openSUSE Tumbleweed right before EndeavourOS. openSUSE TW (Tumbleweed for short), is also a rolling distro while still being 100% stable so I found that appealing as a user. Also I like the ideas of Snapper and YaST in openSUSE. I had planned to use openSUSE TW on my laptop, but after using openSUSE for a few days, I found it a bit more like something for a haven for developers than just a simple average user like myself. Nothing wrong with that at all, I think I was just looking for something I was already a bit more familiar with.

And there was a time many moons ago where I used Manjaro so I guess you could say I was a bit more familiar with an Arch based setup so essentially that was what lead me to EndeavourOS, which seemed like a decent compromise at the time. If I was more technically inclined I’m sure I could settle on openSUSE just as well. I agree it’s a great distro to consider and YaST is a wonderful piece of software no doubt!

Wait, so you’re saying you find EndeavourOS easier to use than openSUSE? Well, for my own experience, basically, yeah :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Im using tumbleweed as my daily driver now, and Im loving it.
Im a really basic user and no problems so far. I love EOS too, but I just find tumbleweed a bit more stable, atleast on my system anyway (an old dell latitude e6420 or something)

2 Likes

I also used Tumbleweed before finally deciding on Arch-based. My main problem was the lack of software compared to other distros. Its library is smaller than Ubuntu and definitely smaller than arch+AUR.
Other than that I was pretty happy with it.

3 Likes

I grow up with Suse/OpenSuse and I like, no love, the distro but I must admit, that some stuff is very “heavy” and complicated compared to more modern systems.

I switched to EndeavourOS (first Manjaro but that was a very short choice) an was happy.

For a classic Distro, at this moment, I would always recommend EndeavourOS because it is Arch but a more simple way to install is. It is very beginner friendly to start, but give you all the freedom of Arch.

For me personal, I see the future in immutable systems. So because of my love to OpenSuse and because my used applications are, to 99%, available as flatpak, I start trying OpenSuse MicroOS.

MicroOS is very minimalistic but I’m amazed how stable it is. Th Gnome flavor works very well, the flatpak integration is flawless. For applications that are not available as flatpak, I have the choice to use distrobox…

Still I’m very curious when we see first desktop distros based on arch. (Ok we have SteamOS vom the Steam Deck, but that isn’t a solution for normal desktops)

1 Like

Been using OpenSuse for many years and sign in to my account 2 or 3 times a year to keep it active. I had to check to see when I first posted and to my surprise it was 10 1/2 years ago. My last post there was over 9 1/2 years ago.
Arch is on all my main computers and all other OS are on my play computers.

I like OpenSuse also, my second best distro. But newer stayed longer than few weeks there. Always switching back to Eos :smiley:

I like OpenSuse Tumbleweed also. Package management and ease of installing software is why i choose EndeavourOS. It is just so much easier. Same with a lot of other good distros such as Fedora. Although i like them I’m always back to EndeavourOS. KDE of course! :wink:

3 Likes