I love Arch and EndeavourOS, but

Oh yeah, I broke my system many times, that’s how one learns. But that’s not the fault of a rolling distro, but the user.

5 Likes

Use what fit you best . :+1: Think you should give more time :wink:

Arch not for everyone ! That fine :blush: hope you stay around coz you no crazy like the rest here :joy:. Wish you luck on your Linux journey

6 Likes

Debian is good but it’s way too far behind for me. I don’t know what breakage you’re having but i don’t experience that unless i break it myself. I have used lollypop for a long time and this is the first time i have seen an issue with it. It was an easy fix to install libhandy1. Same reason i use rhythmbox. I will use it, i will update it, i will break it, i will try to fix it, i will reinstall it if i have to. I will learn something, i will try, i will fail, i will try again. I will learn something else. I will stay with rolling release. I didn’t even like Manjaro cause it keeps stuff back. I’m sticking with Arch.

BTW I use EndeavourOS! :enos: :enos_flag: :rocketa_purple: :penguin_face:

4 Likes

Use Cmus :blush: it never break

2 Likes

I use ncmpcpp BTW :joy:

Seriously though , do whatver you like . I personally find static distros like .deb or .rpm based hard to get my head around … I definitely break things all the time though …for some I’m sure it is the complete opposite

4 Likes

I take regular snapshots but, if I am being honest, I have never had to roll back to previous snapshot. That is across many installations of Arch-based distros over a long period of time.

Despite all the time I have spent helping people troubleshoot their broken installations, I have never figured out why some people have such frequent issues. The most prevalent issue is certainly a partially updated system but beyond that… :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

Personally, I have never given a damn about the version of a program I use. Most “new features” don’t make any real difference in my eyes.

If a program worked fine for me yesterday, it will still work fine for me tomorrow - with or without some new this-or-that added to it.

11 Likes

Ultimately that’s what keeps Arch/Endeavour in my #2 favorite spot for OS’s. There’s just TOO many broken packages too often. I love the OS overall, but if someone says “you can only have ONE computer, what OS do you want?” I go Debian every time. It’s stable, it doesn’t break, the apps don’t break. They might be old, you might have to jump through hoops to get newer versions that will actually work with some things, but you know that if it launched and worked last time, after an update, it will launch and work.
Now, I’m not in that position so I have 2 machines running Endeavour (4 Debian, 1 Void, 1 KDE Neon), but ultimately my OS’s at the top haven’t changed in many years for the same reasons.

2 Likes

When it comes to updates, me neither. I rolled back to previous snapshots a few times and it was always when I messed something up.

An update never caused a major breakage for me. The worst I did regarding updates was attempting to update the major kernel version before the dkms drivers from the AUR were ready. But that was entirely my fault, in fact, I expected this to make my computer unbootable, but I did it out of curiosity regardless, and I turned out to be right. :smiley:

5 Likes

The one who leaves, don't stop him.
To the one who comes, open the door.

Good luck !

9 Likes

Too far behind as in kernels. I used to use Mint and i was always had the same kernel versions as Arch. I want to be current because i use the most current hardware.

5 Likes

Eh, it’s only 1 version behind if you use backports. Current 5.8, Debian 5.7 (I use backports on all my Debian installs except my chromebook because 5.0+ kernels break the audio and I can’t figure out how to fix (that’s not just Debian, no OS have I gotten a 5.0+ kernel to work with audio on it)). And 5.8 is in SID so could easily be backported to buster if one wanted.

1 Like

Yes, newer hardware would be a big incentive to use a distro with more up-to-date kernels.

I tend to buy older machines, or new ones with last-generation CPUs, so that’s never been an issue for me.

But, on Debian, one can backport a newer kernel, or of course compile their own if they have the desire.

Or use Testing - it’s absolutely as stable as Debian Stable, just a bit more up-to-date.

5 Likes
8 Likes

I don’t want to compile anything. I just want rolling! Open Suse Tumbleweed has more updates than this. On my tv computer i update it when i feel like it and sometimes it has a lot of updates but it doesn’t take very long. I just keep rolling. :enos_flag:

1 Like

Each to their own, good luck.

I’ve just had the opposite experience, after a couple of months playing around with Debian as a secondary system I’ve removed it, probably for good as a desktop system.

Arch systems have been always been rock solid for me, disk failures aside I’ve never had to restore a backup to fix a “broken” system either. I find I’m trying other distros now less and less, when I do IMHO they just don’t stack up in comparison.

Those concerned with the rate of change on an Arch rolling system, run all updates on a similarly configured EOS / Arch VM system first for a little more piece of mind. Random driver issues aside you shouldn’t be surprised updating your bare metal system.

Understanding what most packages on your system actually do also helps when perusing results of checkupdates, but the EOS installer circumvents that learning process for all but the most inquisitive new users.

4 Likes

I actually use cmus! Fast and stable! But sometimes I want something more graphic to look at.

3 Likes

I wonder what is breaking. I’ve been using Arch for quite a few months and I’m constantly hopping around the tiling window managers. I haven’t had Arch break on me once.

1 Like

Perhaps those users will take a similar view to my own regarding packages. What I tend to do when I spot a package that I am unsure of its purpose (normally from the list of updates) - then I type into a terminal yay packagename - just to see the description, then cancel any ‘actions’. If it’s interesting, the DuckDuckGo gets added to the investigation. It’s amazing how much of an idea you end up having of what is going on under there :grin:

4 Likes

Arch breakage is subjective also :slight_smile:

but most important , not having a update notification on is a breeze, you dont update to fast :slight_smile:

just update when you are in control is the best.

3 Likes