I cant start tor-browser

tor
Feb 10 13:03:44.170 [notice] Tor 0.4.6.9 running on Linux with Libevent 2.1.12-stable, OpenSSL 1.1.1m, Zlib 1.2.11, Liblzma 5.2.5, Libzstd 1.5.2 and Glibc 2.33 as libc.
Feb 10 13:03:44.170 [notice] Tor can’t help you if you use it wrong! Learn how to be safe at https://www.torproject.org/download/download#warning
Feb 10 13:03:44.170 [warn] Tor was compiled with zstd 1.5.0, but is running with zstd 1.5.2. For safety, we’ll avoid using advanced zstd functionality.
Feb 10 13:03:44.170 [notice] Read configuration file “/etc/tor/torrc”.
Feb 10 13:03:44.172 [notice] Opening Socks listener on 127.0.0.1:9050
Feb 10 13:03:44.172 [notice] Opened Socks listener connection (ready) on 127.0.0.1:9050
Feb 10 13:03:44.173 [warn] Error setting groups to gid 43: “Operation not permitted”.
Feb 10 13:03:44.173 [warn] If you set the “User” option, you must start Tor as root.
Feb 10 13:03:44.173 [notice] Closing partially-constructed Socks listener connection (ready) on 127.0.0.1:9050
Feb 10 13:03:44.173 [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: Problem with User value. See logs for details.
Feb 10 13:03:44.173 [err] Reading config failed–see warnings above.

tor is not the TOR browser.

You can download the browser here:

You might want to follow the instructions for verifying its signature as well.

Then you extract the archive, go into to the Tor browser folder and run it is as a portable app.

Or you could install torbrowser-launcher from the repo that will do all the above for you:

tor-browser-launcher

2 Likes

Alternatively - I believe you can install it right from the repos -

pacman -S torbrowser-launcher

https://archlinux.org/packages/community/any/torbrowser-launcher/

From their github though - they do recommend their flatpak version for the most up to date tor experience.

2 Likes

Just download the portable linux version, unpack it, and run it.

Simple.

No need for a repo package, you can update the portable version as they become available.

1 Like

I dunno I’ve ever used a portable Linux package. I always check the repo first. . .

…to what :question:

:sweat_smile:

I read the first part about extraction and blah blah and stopped reading.

Do the torbrowserthing. It’s the easiest in my opinion, which is what I generally do.

:point_up_2:t5: Yeah

Yes I did ```
pacman -S torbrowser-launcher. I’m used to it running everywhere like ./tor . For example in mx end Manjaro, I thus launched

If memory serves, installing torbrowser-launcher doesn’t install the tor browser. It gets installed directly from the TOR project the first time you run it.

So try running it using the launcher for the first time.

2 Likes

thanks this is true. But tor starts for the second time, and so on also just like torbrowser-launcher.

1 Like

Never used an appimage?

Anyway, portable tor browser is great, just extract tarball into a directory and run it.

Put it on a usb stick and use it on any machine, put it on a data island and use it from any distro installed on your machine.

No install required, no management required. It will inform you when an update is available.

No repo package needed, in fact repo packaging over complicates a simple process.

The tor-launcher automates the download, just not necessary.

1 Like

Yes - I have used Tails+Tor on a stick for about 2 years…

https://tails.boum.org/

Please be aware that it is part funded by the US Navy… :scream: OMG

I would recommend torbrowser-launcher from the repos. It’s the simplest way to run the Tor Browser, and it’s equally safe to downloading it manually (contrary to what some people allege, it is downloaded from the official source), with the added benefit of having a package manager take care of it.

Downloading programs using the web browser is not how we do things on Linux, most of the time. We have package managers (and on Arch, we have one of the best package manager ever, pacman), so it’s a good idea to take advantage of that.

1 Like

Sorry. Yes. I’ve used appimage,I didn’t realize they were the same thing.